Ready for paint

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
What about these Genesis 1000 Cookboxes. You think they are ready for some Rustoleum High Heat Ultra?

047fKDU.jpg

Like fresh-out-of-the-box on warranty gorgeous. Sandblasted? Or is that grey primer? hard to tell. Can't wait till spring!

They were sand blasted. They now have a slightly rough finish. Should look great with some flat black Rustoleum High Heat flat black.

I have a question. What is the best way to keep the bare aluminum from oxidizing over the next few months. Would wiping them down with some vegetable oil help?? The will be stored inside my shed, so I don't know if they will be prone to any oxidation or not.

Yah, I don't know if the guy is going to commit to doing them for $50 going forward, but if he does, I think I will keep doing it on many of my grills. I just had an Xray, MRI and Cortisone shot in my left shoulder. The pain started last spring..surprisingly around the time I started doing my rehabs for the summer. All that scrubbing with grill cleaner and grinding with angle grinders probably set it off. The doc says it is mostly "deterioration" rather than injury, but right now I am going to rehab once a week and doing daily exercises on it. If I can get it back to near normal, I don't want to set it off again next spring. So, it might be somewhat out of my hands so to speak if I want to keep rehabbing grills.

I sure wish it would be possible to get setup to do this yourself at a realistic price. From what I can see, you need a very large (not cheap) pressure tank and then expensive equipment to actually be able to function. Then there is media cost and what to do to contain it. It would be nice, but doesn't seem in my reach, anyway.

Those look great!
$50 seems like a fair price for that too.
I remember we used to have a sandblaster machine in the auto shop class way back in highschool days. I don't think it would have housed a big firebox though. That guy must have a big setup

They were sand blasted. They now have a slightly rough finish. Should look great with some flat black Rustoleum High Heat flat black.

I have a question. What is the best way to keep the bare aluminum from oxidizing over the next few months. Would wiping them down with some vegetable oil help?? The will be stored inside my shed, so I don't know if they will be prone to any oxidation or not.

I would just throw them each into a plastic garbage bag to protect them from condensation. I wouldn't put anything on them as that might give you paint problems later.

Gerry

Honestly I don't think you have to worry too much. You'd have to worry more about condensation than anything else so I would leave them open and ventilated. Definitely do NOT put oil on them

OK, I know that if ground down a box clean and left it outside, it would oxidize pretty bad. I did not know if it would do that inside if it didn't get rained or condensation.

OK, I know that if ground down a box clean and left it outside, it would oxidize pretty bad. I did not know if it would do that inside if it didn't get rained or condensation.

I am reminded how cold items in an unheated garage get soaked when you open the garage door on those first warm humid days in the spring. A plastic bag would keep them dry.

Gerry

You know I have had most of my aluminum grinding work very quickly show oxidation. Maybe it is my wet environment, but I have pretty much viewed having to do a thorough scrubbing to get that off after a couple days from when I did the grinding. After it has been washed thoroughly, it doesn't seem to be a big problem. I always attributed it to raw aluminum being exposed to the air. But, hey, I am a CPA not a metallurgist.

I am going to keep an eye on them. If I see anything going on, I will figure out a way to prevent it going forward.

Back