Which Genesis is this? (1993)

ReinderE

Hi Folks,

A few years ago I bought this Weber grill. I know it is a Genesis but can't determine which one. Hope you can help me.
Model year is 1993.
See this pictures for further info: https://www.flickr.com/photos/186354457@N04/albums

The grill works well but could needs some TLC. I've started to clean the burners and cleanded out the firebox.
Furthermore I would like to replace the flavourizer bars for ss versions, replace the ignition kit which does not work at all, clean up the frame and inside of the lid and give it some fresh paint.

Questions I have (up till know:) ) are:

Which type is it?
What is the Weber part number of the ignition kit?
I would like to replace some nuts and bolts. Is there a parts list available?

When clicking the link, it says none of your photos are public yet.

Once you upload a picture, we should be able to tell you the model #. The SS flavor bars will run you about $25 on Amazon. Ignition kits are usually about $20, I think.

The inside of the lid.... that looks like pealing paint, but it is not. It's flaking carbon buildup from your previous cooks. Just take some oven cleaner or Simple Green to it with a straight razor knife and it should clean right up. Don't paint any portion of the inside of the lid or inside the firebox. It is toxic....just give it a good cleaning.
https://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2014/07/flaking-inside-the-lid/

Yah, photos are not working.
If it is a 1993, it is a Genesis 1000 with wood slats and handle. That is what I have.

c9joDHk.jpg

Here is a good source list for parts.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76176-Weber-gas-grill-parts-source

Reinder: that I believe would be a Genesis 3000. But the KL2 serial number would indicate a Genesis 2000, I believe. But I thought that would have an extra table on the right in place of the side burner. I may be wrong, but it could be that the side burner was added later on.

It looks like you have a great grill to work with there.

Thanks Bruce. It's an igniter with mounting nut. I will order that one.
And yes, it's a great grill to work with. This baby is a keeper for sure.
I will post some pictures when it is ready.

Reinder: that I believe would be a Genesis 3000. But the KL2 serial number would indicate a Genesis 2000, I believe. But I thought that would have an extra table on the right in place of the side burner. I may be wrong, but it could be that the side burner was added later on.

It looks like you have a great grill to work with there.

It came with an extra side table. Probably the side burner was added later on.
Think I am having the firebox sandblasted. Last weekend was a weekend of grinding and brushing and still not satisfied.
New ignition kit will arrive next week!!

Hi guys,

Last week I picked up the firebox and lid side panels. They where sand blasted. This weekend I did some sanding and polishing on the parts.
Next job is sanding the wooden slates and finish them, paint the outside of the firebox and both side parts of the lid and then finaly reassemble my dear Genesis.
Made some before and after pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/186354457@N04/albums

ReinderE,
That is going to be one very sweet grill! We will enjoy seeing it all come together.

I wish I could find a cost effective way to get sandblasting done for my major parts. They look great!

Hopefully, not too long from now we will be able to post pictures directly to TVWBB. It might be, though, that for really high resolution pictures it will still be better to link as we do now.

The link worked fine for me. And it looks like you will have a nice grill there when you get done.

A lot of forum sites that you can download photos directly to allow you click on an embedded photo to get the full resolution photo. I hope that is the case when we switch over.

Last edited:
Thanks Kyle, Jason, Bruce and Jon !

Yes, I love this grill. Older Weber grills are not that common here. I bought this baby from a guy who lived inThe States but moved back to The Netherlands.
He took the grill with him.
Sandblasting was 40 euros for the firebox and both side lid panels.
Don't think it was finished then. It cost me 1 day sanding and another day cleaning and polishing. But hey, you forget al that labour as you get a smoother surface by the hour:)
Thanks to TVWBB I get some great tips about restoring my grill. Like all the other posts about different projects also!
Coming up is sanding and finishing the wood and spray paint the outside of the lid panels and firebox. I keep you posted.

Hi Guys,

Finally she is ready! What has been done? Firebox and side parts of the lid sand blasted and spray painted, woodwork sanded and oiled, burner tubes cleaned, ignition unit replaced and replaced some bolts and nuts for stainles steel ones.

image - kopie.jpg
image - kopie (8).jpg

image - kopie (2).jpg
image - kopie (3).jpg

Back