New to me Gold B

Bobby Segars

TVWBB Super Fan
I picked up a Gold B today. It's in great shape couple of minor rust spots. I cleaned it up a little with Simple Green and a Magic Eraser. The grates are cast iron, the flavorizer look good and just need a good cleaning. The burners just need a good cleaning as well. The side tables are porcelain just like the lid. That was a surprise. I'm gonna clean it up in the spring and put it to use, a little too cold for that right now.

It appears it started life as a lp grill has a lp tank scale but the previous owner either just hooked it up to a natural gas line or converted it to natural gas? How do I check that? If it was converted how hard is it reverse it or should I just swap out the manifold?

New to me Gold B https://imgur.com/a/D6KepzX

Bobby

Bobby: You got a nice on there. I would look for a part number on the manifold to see it was swapped out. Otherwise, I would probably just put a propane hose on it and fire it up. If it turns into a blow torch, then it was converted. If it burns normal, then the PO probably just ported it over to NG and dealt with the lower output.

If you need to change it back, I would just look for another manifold unless you want to deal with swapping orifices and everything that entails. Better to just find a curb alert Silver or Gold B/C. Since you won't be working on it until spring, you have the time to look.

Bobby:
There is a 3rd possibility as well. If the PO had bulk propane reduced for his house, than he may have just changed to a whip hose. I did an identical conversion of a Genesis E-320 for my son. Bruce is spot on with analysis of the potential fuel sources. Great score!

Bobby: You got a nice on there. I would look for a part number on the manifold to see it was swapped out. Otherwise, I would probably just put a propane hose on it and fire it up. If it turns into a blow torch, then it was converted. If it burns normal, then the PO probably just ported it over to NG and dealt with the lower output.

If you need to change it back, I would just look for another manifold unless you want to deal with swapping orifices and everything that entails. Better to just find a curb alert Silver or Gold B/C. Since you won't be working on it until spring, you have the time to look.

Bruce,

So a Silver C lp manifold is the same as this Gold B?

Bobby

Bobby:
There is a 3rd possibility as well. If the PO had bulk propane reduced for his house, than he may have just changed to a whip hose. I did an identical conversion of a Genesis E-320 for my son. Bruce is spot on with analysis of the potential fuel sources. Great score!

Dan,

When I first saw the picture of the grill on the FB Marketplace I thought maybe they had a bulk tank and just ran a larger supply line but i verified today that he indeed used Natural Gas.

Bobby

That one is worth the effort it may take. Nice find! Love the matching porcelain side tables that look like wings.:cool:

Keep us posted

t0sG1c6.jpg

I hooked up a propane regulator and tank and fired it up. The flames were pretty high. I have attached some pics, I guess the PO did indeed change the manifold or the jets to run natural gas.

Bobby

Gold B flame with propane regulator https://imgur.com/a/lfBG0U9

Bobby, that doesn't look bad as far as too high of a flame. But, from what I can tell, those burners are either shot or need a good cleaning. You should have even flame all across the burners.

Those burners are shot and Bobby when you use Imagur use the paste BBC content link and your photos will show up relieving us of having to always click an outside link to our browsers
L1TSWrA.jpg

Use the BBC links button and photos will be inline with your post

Swapped out the burner tubes today on the Gold B but found that's not the issue. It's the manifold, it has to be a natural gas one. The flames were really high not like normal on my other grills. I tried swapping the manifold from a Silver B but the orifices on the B manifold would not line up with the burner tubes. They were about a half inch too short on the left and right. How do I determine which propane manifold I need? This is my Model# DD364240

Last edited:
Burners are burners. There is no such thing as NG or LP versions. It's the metering device that makes all the difference.

They are the same size and length as the ones I took off. It can only be the manifold I guess.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think they only made that model for a few years 2000-2001 in this link scroll down to Jeff's he states the years wonder if it is in fact a different manifold for those couple of years which is why when you took one from the later years B it was short.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71158-Cooking-grates-for-a-Genesis-1000-3-burner

Back