Howdy folks!

Howdy folks!

I'm what you might call an odd duck. Was raised by a pack of wild hippies, who were also militant vegetarians... I never even grilled a burger until my late twenties (lots of veggies dogs and veggie kabobs over bonfires though).

My first grill was a bad knockoff of the CGA, and almost killed my budding addiction before it could take hold. Luckily after a year of fighting with that, I got my first Weber: a Smokey Joe. Being a novice, and trying the brute force approach rather than learning technique from others, predictably some good meat was ruined. Slowly I reduced the casualty rate.

Over the next 10 years most places I lived didn't allow grills, so my meager skills languished. The place I'm in for the last couple of years however grilling is not a problem, and last spring I was able to get that WSJ back in my possession... And that's when I got bit. Started watching YouTube videos, and lurking in forums in hopes of gaining some knowledge.

Then I bought an old Q200 from the local CL. Then I found a 22" original for a song. Followed by an 18" original (which was gifted to a co-worker), a mid-90s CGA in pristine condition, a beat up newer GGA, and finally(?) this Thursday a Genesis Silver C joined the family. And yes, I got one with the side burner just to light my charcoal starter. All of this in just the last year.

Also, my apartment is actually the front half of a house, so all grilling happens in the front yard, which in turn means the 22" kettle and the large Genesis Silver C are in a semi-permanent configuration... In the front yard... where I'm renting a rundown 1920s eyesore of a house, in an otherwise very affluent neighborhood. Neighbors are probably an order of magnitude or two above me economically speaking, and they are just barely tolerating my obsession! Lol

I've already found lots of great info here, and look forward to some productive discussions. Thanks for having me!

Vegetarians aside, your pack of hippies couldn't be too bad; you developed effective writing skills along the way, lol. Welcome here, and please share your knowledge. But I encourage you to replace finally with most recently :p

Welcome to the forum, Amir!

How do you feel (health-wise) transitioning from the vegetarian lifestyle to an omnivore one?

Back