GBS or just plan ole cast iron?

JohnD IL

So I was thinking about upgrading my 22" Kettle with the grate that can use the GBS items. I would really only use the wok and the griddle and was wondering if a Lodge Cast Iron couldn't give the same results. Does anyone have any thought on if the GBS provides better end results than cast irons?

I just got the GBS grate for mine but no accessories yet. I use it more with the center grate removed for my Vortex.
But to answer your question I've used Lodge CI skillets, griddles, Dutch ovens on the regular old grate and they work just fine.

Tim

I use my GBS grate for the vortex also and like Tim said cast iron works just fine on a regular grate.

I also mostly just take out the center when using the vortex. But I have been using it with a wok (not the GBS version) and have really liked the results. I did a post about it here. I prefer carbon steel vs. CI for a wok and this setup has worked quite well for me. It gets quite hot and cooks fast, so I have to have everything fully prepped and ready ahead of time.

I'm pretty sure Weber doesn't make a SS GBS for the 22" and don't think anyone else does either.

I would use my 26 with the Vortex, but I worry bout what the heat would do to the plated grate.
Unless it's an older model 26" it should have a SS cook grate, that's also what their replacements are made of.

I had the Craycort 22" cast iron grate and griddle.

If you live in arid southwest, maybe OK
In humid SE, rusted away quickly

Seasoning on cast iron doesnt last grilling, it burns away at grilling temps. Then it rusts rapidly.

Stainless is da only way to go for grill grates. Plated dont last grilling either, though their fine for smoker since low temp and coated in grease.

Last edited:
Stainless is da only way to go for grill grates. Plated dont last grilling either, though their fine for smoker since low temp and coated in grease.

Totally Agree as I purchased the SS "Easy Spin" Grill for my 22" Weber Mastertouch Grill from those SlowNSear Folks and it is one great product.

I'm pretty sure Weber doesn't make a SS GBS for the 22" and don't think anyone else does either.

Weber makes a stainless GBS version grate that they sell in Europe. It is not 304 but apparently 430, but it IS stainless rather than nickel chrome plated steel. I bought one for a rather high price while in Germany but figured it would be my only chance:eek:!

5uMIbda.jpg

Last edited:
Weber makes a stainless GBS version grate that they sell in Europe. It is not 304 but apparently 430, but it IS stainless rather than nickel chrome plated steel. I bought one for a rather high price while in Germany but figured it would be my only chance:eek:!

5uMIbda.jpg

Figures, another thing we don't get.

Tim

I know that Mark Baron of KillaGrilla.com does not list a GBS insert as one of his products, but he does do things not listed and I have to believe others have asked for this. I have three of his grates and can't say enough good about them. With reasonable care they probably would last longer than several kettles! They are US made real 304 THICK stainless rods that clean up much easier than OEM stuff. You could at least make an inqury:

http://killagrilla.com/

Back