Vortex Size Question

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
I know this has been discussed here before but what as far as the Vortex goes , what is the best size to get for a 22" performer? I will be buying one real soon and wanted to get advice as to best size from those of you who have these.

Thanks!

I have the mediums size in a 22" Performer and it works great. Enough room around it to ring it with Chicken parts.

I can only FULLY agree with the esteemed gentlemen above! I’m considering a small for the 18” for days when I NEED MORE!
I did a pair of massive ribeyes using the CI center for the GBS and a raft of wings around the perimeter, as TonyUK would say, “Works a treat!” Talk about maximizing useable space!
I let it burn out after the ribeyes and will finish cleaning up the spent ash and coal after I run a couple of errands.

Last edited:
I have both the Medium and Small size Vortex's for my Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill. Why two(2); I first bought the Medium-size which full of charcoal gives-out a very intense heat in which left permanent burnt marks on the grill. So, I later bought the smaller size which produces a lower heat-level when full of charcoal. My thinking right-now is why did I buy the smaller size when I can load the medium size with less charcoal to produce less heat??? Hard one to explain right now especially to my wife! Anyhow, IMO both sizes Vortex's are one great product for the Weber 22" grill especially when grilling chicken wings. By using the smaller Vortex gives one a little more grilling space and it produced for me the same tasty Chicken Wings without the permanent burnt marks on my grill.

Last edited:
The small works well for me.
I can turn it upside down if I want a larger sear area, and it still gets screaming hot that way too.
I think it's less about the shape than it is the concentration of heat.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat, flipped a coin and got the med. In hindsight the small wouldve gave me more room on a standard grate, but Santa gave me a GBS ( Like Bob's) so now I'm happy.
I did a sous vide butt and used the vortex ( flipped) for indirect, ( you make a foil disc for the bottom and stack hot coals round the outside perimeter) came out real nice.
I want to try that configuration on a beer can turkey set on the charcoal grate.

Tim

Tim, the CI insert is a big friend with the Vortex in center! I really need to get out there tomorrow and do a clean up and put some things away. Such a slacker!

Remember the feast of the Epiphany, (it’s when the three kings got their presents the the destination) its actually January 6th.
It’s a really good piece, I don’t use it all the time but there are things which it is truly superior for!
There, I’ve been an enabler for someone else here! You all have made me realize I was “Short” on a few things which I have filled in, sometimes several times, just to make sure! Still lacking a, Jumbo Joe and a gas go anywhere but, I can wait for the right ones to come along.

Remember the feast of the Epiphany, (it’s when the three kings got their presents the the destination) its actually January 6th.
It’s a really good piece, I don’t use it all the time but there are things which it is truly superior for!
There, I’ve been an enabler for someone else here! You all have made me realize I was “Short” on a few things which I have filled in, sometimes several times, just to make sure! Still lacking a, Jumbo Joe and a gas go anywhere but, I can wait for the right ones to come along.

Just traded a JJ for a 1998 genesis 1000 greenie I restored and the guy hates gas so he gave it back to me for the JJ, also got a full bottle of propane. Come spring I'll look for another cheap JJ and flip the greenie.;)

It’s holding up pretty well, all things considered, I don’t use it a lot. Maybe three or four times since I got the Vortex. Grate seems to clean quite well.

Back