Houston, we have a problem.

Tom O.

TVWBB Member
Downloaded the img software for my Pi Zero with header from heatermeter.com/dl.

Used the recommended img writing software to write the img to a 32gb SD card.

Put the card in the Pi reader slot.

Applied power.

And this is what I got...

Any suggestions?

Tom

PS: Says I can't post attachments. ***?

Anyway... the three LEDS come on, but the screen has a row of square boxes across the entire width and the buttons don't respond except that the bottom one turns on and off the red led.

*** is with the "No attachments" thing????

PPS: The Nanny software censor here blanked out the letters W and T and F? Really?

On the first boot it takes a bit before the HeaterMeter flashes microcontroller so it is normal for it to not be responsive or show anything on the display until that happens. On a Pi Zero W it should take less than 2 minutes to complete. If you've waited that long and nothing, check to make sure you're getting lights on the Zero when it boots. The LED (next to the micro USB closest to the hole) should flash like crazy as it loads the kernel, then blink fast, then blink slowly, then finally enter a steady state of either off or on (usually off).

If you got your HeaterMeter pre-assembled from the store then it was already flashed and tested before shipping so none of that should be necessary. It should just power up and run even without a Pi attached so also give that a try. Note that the probe connectors are on the right and the LCD is at the top when the two boards are mated properly. The Zero then mates with the microSD on the right and the HeaterMeter plugged into the pins closest to the microSD.

I don't think the forums will do attachments, but you can host an image on imgur.com or similar and just link it here.

I removed the Pi board entirely, and when power was applied, I got the message"No pit probe".

So there is either something wrong with the Pi, or the img file I guess.

Tom

PS: When I tried with the Pi board installed, there were no flashing lights on the Pi Zero board lit... I don't even see a led on that board???

I think I have it worked out. It was a bad SD card.

Now it powers up, shows the pit temp (thermocouple style) and in a bit, the network address 10.0.0.166 shows in the window. All the menu stuff shows in the display as I go through it with the right button.

I hope that is correct. Now I need to figure out the online control stuff if I can get it to connect.

Tom

Wow, it works. :)

Just logged on to the heatermeter.com/devices site... and there I am. :)

Thanks for the help. Now I only need to wire up either the adapt-a-damper or the micro damper (I 3D printed both versions) and see if I can get that going next.

Since I will be using this exclusively on a Kamado Joe Classic II, I think I will try the micro damper first.

Baby steps I guess.

Tom

Awesome! Glad to hear it was something easily fixable. Yeah yesterday I went to verify how the LED blinks before I posted my message and I stared at the Pi Zero board for a long time trying to figure out where the LED was. When I plugged in power I also did not get any LED activity. Turns out I had grabbed a 1GB SD card out of the drawer that didn't work at all (no LED, no HDMI output, no nothing) so sounds like we were both in the same boat for a bit there. Now you're on track though, hope you have fun trying out dampers and becoming as obsessive as the rest of us about our graphs.

I can't say enough about how nice this entire project is. It has been a hoot getting everything together and working. Today is "wire up a blower" day, so I better get going.

Tom

Back