Two used Weber Summit Charcoal in north Texas

I was hoping these things drop to $500 used but looks not.
I think charcoal is a dedicated speciality and these who do bbq with charcoal don't want to spend more than $200 or so on a charcoal grill. I wonder how long will take to sell.

Those are pretty sharp looking coal burners. Do they have a good reputation for durability and performance compared to the regular kettles.

The price on the large one is now down to $1,300. Still a a lot of money for a charcoal grill. Too much for my taste and I am not sure they are that much better than a Performer which you can find for $100 or way less.

Those are very nice grills, but I can't swing it. I need to up my facebook search range. Usually some DFW stuff will pop up on my listings. Sometimes I don't want to see it. My 22.5 OTS gets the job done, though.

I do have serious gear lust over the Summit Charcoal, but if I was going to spend 4 figures on a charcoal grill, it would likely be a Hasty Bake. My generic BBQ's Galore (regional chain in SoCal and the southwest) drop-in charcoal grill can raise and lower the coal bed during the cook, and I find I use that feature on every cook.

Those are very nice grills, but I can't swing it. I need to up my facebook search range. Usually some DFW stuff will pop up on my listings. Sometimes I don't want to see it. My 22.5 OTS gets the job done, though.

My Performer and UDS gets the job done also but I have to admit like J have serious gear lust over this thing. What does a large Big Green Egg cost with the risk of ever moving it and shattering into pieces not an issue with the Summit.

Its only a dream to own one of those for me. :)

Yeah, the Big Green Egg was clearly in Weber's crosshairs when they designed the Summit charcoal, and they priced it accordingly. I do love the Weber style the Summit has. It is also a good bit larger than my "Large" Big Green Egg, not to mention the potential shatter and kiss my egg goodbye issue. On the other hand, the BGE has very little in the way of metal parts. The main body could literally last a lifetime. I doubt the same could be said for a metal Summit charcoal. So, there are pros and cons. I was given my BGE. I could never have bought one or now a Summit charcoal. Maybe I will come upon a used one where somebody doesn't realize what they have.

To be honest, though, if I could be granted a wish for another charcoal grill without regard to price, my choice would be the new model PK grill:

DpaIMBn.png

Actually, the original model for half the price would be just fine even if not as high tech looking!

https://www.pkgrills.com/

PK's are out of my budget. I will have to be happy with my CharQ.
Size for size, is there something a PK can do, that the CharQ can't?

PK's are really trendy because of steak competitions. The charcoal grate is closer to the grill so I guess searing is easy and it's very simple to 2-zone. I think they are pretty cool. I wouldn't mind a vintage one, but a Weber kettle with a slow n sear can get the charcoal even closer to the meat and I only really ever cook 2 a time and you still aren't getting anywhere close to the cost of a PK.

The drawback I have to imagine is cleaning the thing out. Plus you could have embers falling from the bottom vents ( at least on the original).

PK's are really trendy because of steak competitions. The charcoal grate is closer to the grill so I guess searing is easy and it's very simple to 2-zone. I think they are pretty cool. I wouldn't mind a vintage one, but a Weber kettle with a slow n sear can get the charcoal even closer to the meat and I only really ever cook 2 a time and you still aren't getting anywhere close to the cost of a PK.

I just really like the versatility of the Weber kettle with all the various accessories you can get. Slow'n'sear, vortex, rotisserie, pizza ring, Wok .... I have used them all and I doubt you have all these options on a PK.

PK's are out of my budget. I will have to be happy with my CharQ.
Size for size, is there something a PK can do, that the CharQ can't?

Dave,

First, I LOVE my CharQ. It is a perfect grill for fast high heat stuff like burgers, dogs, pork chops, fish. Even steaks if they fit. In fact, one of my best steak cooks of regular sirloin brought back childhood memories of my Dad grilling on his Hibachi.

The PK can do that as well but with a good deal more space. I think the big thing, though, is that with its shape and vent configuration it is perfectly setup for indirect cooking. We have been talking about a pellet grill that can smoke AND sear. The PK does that in spades.

https://youtu.be/4o17V8mDTLc

https://www.pkgrills.com/the-pk-grill-smoker-graphite/

Finally, like the CharQ, but even more so it is all cast aluminum and lasts a lifetime.

Back