Happy New Year

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Just wanted to wish all a Happy New Year now that the US time zones are entering the new decade.
Everyone that is out tonight, be safe.

Back at everyone! BTW dinner consisted of prime filet mignon and cold water lobster tails on the Genesis with drawn butter. Sorry no photos LOL. BTW a trick to grill tails taught to me by late friend who was a professional chef (actually had been executive chef at the Playboy Club in Lake Geneva sadly lost him about 10 years ago when he took his life)
Anyway he showed me to simply use a shear and split them down the back. Remove the vein (yes they're like shrimp and yes it can be pretty disgusting). Then carefully work the meat out of the tail. This is tricky to do without drawing blood (yours not the lobster's LOL). Then lay the meat on top of the split shell drizzle with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of Old Bay seasoning and cook on indirect with or without smoke but, be careful as they take on WAY too much smoke too easily so I don't use it. Cook them on moderately high indirect heat (I cannot give you a temp or time here as it varies and I use touch method)

Last edited:
Happy New Year to all Forum Members!

My present BBQ arsenal is all Charcoal Driven(WSM 18" "Classic",Weber Mastertouch 22" Grill and the small 14" "Weber Smoky Joe". This month I plan to add a "gasser" to my BBQ Arsenal which will be either a Weber Spirit E-210 or E310 or the WeberQ 2200 Grill. I BBQ mainly for the wife and I; needing a quick-fix in eliminating the need to light-up some charcoal to cook-up some hotdogs and hamburgers. There are somedays I feel my 77 years.

Your recommendation(s) will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The Q is a much better quality grill than a Spirit. Though for ultimate versatility I would recommend a Q3xxx series. With dual burners it is much more versatile IMO after owning both

Happy New Year Everyone!

Richard,

I agree with Larry that a Q would be a perfect solution for you. Easy to clean and little to rust, so it will easily outlast a new Spirit. The big Q is actually almost as big as a Genesis 300 series in grill space! The dual burner is a very nice touch and gives you versatility.

I would say, though, that if you have ideas of possibly taking a gas grill on a trip or picnic, or you are willing to accept a smaller and not quite as powerful grill, then the 2200 is a personal favorite of mine. Either way you will be very happy.

Jon and Larry: Thanx for your excellent explanation and looks-like I will go with the Weber Q 2200 due to limited space considerations and keeping my wife Happy!

Last edited:
Before you drop the dime on the 2xxx actually measure it against the 3xxx. The exterior dimensions are nearly identical the 3xxx just VERY slightly larger overall. But the addition of the second burner opens up WAY more versatility than the 2xxx. I park my 3xx in the garage just like I did my 2xx and here is my own observation. The 3xx due to it's MUCH better cart is actually EASIER to move around (though taking it to a picnic is a bit tougher but then I don't picnic). It already comes outfitted for the 20lb cylinder (or a smaller one like a 5 or 10 if you prefer). I truly unless I wanted a camping grill would never bother with a 1xxx or 2xxx again for my needs (smaller grill to keep inside during bad weather use). I cannot recommend the 3 series highly enough. IIRC from side to side of the actual grill (not the side tables) it's only about 2" wider and 1" deeper (front to back). It's not the "tank" you think it is. IMO it's what the 2xxx should have been

Larry: Thanx for your updated information and recommendation. Down here in San Jose, Costa Rica we have only a dry AND rainy seasons in which Green Mold and bugs can accumulate in your BBQ Arsenal in a hurry due to humid conditions. I air-out my Charcoal BBQ's around every two(2) weeks, leave the door off on my WSM when not in use, and do not cover my equipment especially during the rainy season(May-Oct). I do not have a garage space to store my BBQ Arsenal and all my equipment ia kept in a covered patio area.

My thinking on the smaller Weber 2200 is that it will be much easier to maintain than the larger unit but the two-burner Weber 3200 temps me to buy-it based on the ability to do both Indirect and Direct Cooking.

Last edited:
Jon and Larry: Since this will my first-ever "Gasser" which available Weber accessories would you recommend for either the 2200 or 3200?

Last edited:
For the 2200 a cart is a must based on what you will be doing. I like the one that looks like the 3200 cart. But, you just drop it in, and some complain that moving can be a pain if you mistakenly grab the grill handle instead of the cart handle. The fold up cart has locks that hold the grill in. Doesn’t look as cool to me, but it can double as an easy way to move your grill for a road trip. The 2200 doesn’t come with a light; you can buy a Weber one that fixes that.

You can get a griddle got either grill. Do your bacon and eggs outside and save the cleanup inside!

p.s. While I agree with Larry about the 3200’s versatility, everyone has an opinion. I had a 3200 that I sold so I could go back to a 2200 because I just happened to like grilling with it better and missed having it. It’s all a matter of preference, since both are great little grills.

Last edited:
Happy new year!

Re: Q vs Spirit... Go with a Q. It's a perfect size when cooking for two people. I've had a Q200 for a long time. It's been a great grill. I'm in Georgia which has some pretty high humidity, I'm not sure if it's as humid as Costra Rica though... I've got no signs of rust on my Q and I don't do anything special besides clean the inside out once a year with a grill brush. I keep the basic Weber cover on it, the short one that covers just the grill, doesn't go down the cart. Cart still looks good too. The 2200 is the size of my old Q200, I think. I wish mine had a thermometer...

Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace have lots of Qs, but maybe not so many in other countries.

Larry: Thanx for your updated information and recommendation. Down here in San Jose, Costa Rica we have only a dry or rainy seasons in which Green Mold and bugs can accumulate in your BBQ Arsenal in a hurry due to humid conditions. I air-out my Charcoal BBQ's around every two(2) weeks, leave the door off on my WSM when not in use, and do not cover my equipment especially during the rainy season(May-Oct). I do not have a garage space to store my BBQ Arsenal and all my equipment ia kept in a covered patio area.

My thinking on the smaller Weber 2200 is that it will be much easier to maintain than the larger unit but the two-burner Weber 3200 temps me to buy-it based on the ability to do both Indirect and Direct Cooking.

Honestly maint is no harder. The burner set pops right out in about 10 seconds just as the smaller Qs, cleaning out the unit is simple scrape out put the cooking grids back on and cook away. As for accessories I don't have any other than what I use on my regular gassers. Only difference is I have found that those wooden paddle scrapers actually work very well on the cast iron grates the Q has

Back