Struggling to find a failure cause... Genesis

Tim Sanj

Not sure if I've found the forum to ask for suggestions so mods if this is the wrong sub-form, please advise.

I have a Weber Genesis E330 grill, about 3 years old. . I haven't used it it in about 2 months due to other commitments. Saddened by this, I planned to do a big cook last week but..

The starter didn't work. Tried replacing the battery. No sound.... Weird but okay, maybe it died.
Tried to light the bbq manually with a piece of lit paper. First the tank, slowly, then the left most knob. It won't light.
Tried the same tank, with the same adapter with my Q series, works fine. So it's not the tank or adapter.
Could be the regulator, hose, or something else with the Genesis 330

Could it be the starter has closed of any gas flow to the tank? I'm on the lookout for the "else" thing I may be missing.

KF3HVVt

mbjgzfD

DM6n5dk

3Rx93yr

I would say you most likely have a regulator gone bad. The igniter won't affect the gas flow at all.

Thanks Joe for the quick response. Any idea why they both seemed to fail at the same time. The igniter doesn't make a clicking sound with a new battery. Or maybe it's just the slight chance they both went bad?

I think it is a coincidence. You said the grill was not used for a couple months. Maybe that was part of it. The electronic igniters fail very easily. Just in case be sure that battery is in correctly.

Yeah maybe just bad luck having regulator and igniter go bad same time. Not very expensive to fix either. Give Weber a call some of that might be covered under warranty

Thanks Jon and Kyle. I'll see about replacing the regulator and hose.

I may just buy those parts in case a rainy day happens.

So just to confirm, the ignigter doesn't have a valve that opens or closes which may be stuck?
If the regulator was in regulate (Warren G?) mode, the BBQ would start but only heat up to about 200 degrees but unlike my current situation, would atleast start.

Any recommendations on cleaning procedures and time between cleaning? I might be in need of one for my BBQ

Ignitor basically just creates a spark near the burner tube to get the gas lit. It's one of those parts that fails often. You'll need one eventually and they are like $20 on Amazon.

Regulator is more like a fuel pump, regulating the amount of propane going from tank to tubes. They don't fail nearly as often as ignitors. They cost more, but make sure you call Weber, register your grill, that might be covered for free.

Oh, and just clean when you see a lot of junk down in the cook box. For a quick basic clean I just remove the grates and flavor bars, then use a grill brush to loosen up everything down there and suck it all out with a shop vac. Hit the burner tubes with the grill brush too and get them clean.

Thanks @LMichaels for the insight and tip.

Cheers to Kyle and Jon for the help as well.

Will order myself a new hose and regulator as well as a started. I live overseas so it's not easy to get those.

Last edited:
Sorry to come late to the party but, have you checked for blockage, I little spider can make just enough web and such to block the feed.

Tim:
On your igniter check the button, especially the two thin strips on the outside that need to make contact with the spring in the igniter. They corrode pretty easily just like the contact in the button that the battery actually contacts. The one in the base of the igniter doesn't get that bad too often. Usually it it the two narrow strips that cause the failure. You can order a replacement button from many sources if the one you have doesn't clean up. Those igniters are very prone to moisture.

Sorry to come late to the party but, have you checked for blockage, I little spider can make just enough web and such to block the feed.

Thanks Tim. Can you advise how to check for this? Pressured air, soap test? Not sure how to get into the cable

Tim:
On your igniter check the button, especially the two thin strips on the outside that need to make contact with the spring in the igniter. They corrode pretty easily just like the contact in the button that the battery actually contacts. The one in the base of the igniter doesn't get that bad too often. Usually it it the two narrow strips that cause the failure. You can order a replacement button from many sources if the one you have doesn't clean up. Those igniters are very prone to moisture.

Will check it out today. Would make sense as it was just working then stopped.

Did you try lighting a different burner?

That I didn’t. Good suggestion

Tim, I’m talking about gas feed blockage so, air would be the way I’d go, yes.

I should have been clear. Soap on the outside to detect leaks. Pressurized air for the inside but unfortunately I don't have that type of device..

Looks like I may just buy another cable with regulator as the $30 + $20 shipping option.

I think he is outside of the US, so maybe prices are different... Alibaba might be a better option over Amazon if you are in Asia.

But Tim, still give Weber a call
+1-800-446-1071

They should be able to send you some free or discounted replacement parts.

Back