19 lb Brisket Help

I procured a 19 lb. Angus Choice Brisket from Sam's Club that I intend to cook on Christmas. They didn't have any Prime Briskets. They only had 8 - 10 lb briskets and some larger ones like the one I bought. I have never cooked one greater that 12#. I plan to go hot and fast. Plan is to run the pit at 350 until the internal temp is 165, then wrap in aluminum foil and finish in the oven.

Any ideas on how long this will take? Any advice for the cook? I'd appreciate any ideas people could offer that will help me cook a great meal for the family.

I've never had much luck on HH 15 and up lb. packers. Very inconsistent. L&S only for me with the bigger ones. Best of luck and Happy Holidays

Brisket turned out fantastic! It took about 6 hours to get up to temp and have a good bark set prior to wrapping. Then, about 2 hours in the oven at 300, the internal temp reached 205 and the probe tenderness seemed good. I cut out the tin foil and let the steam escape for 15 min or so, then wrapped and let rest for an hour.

I just had a guy tell me he smokes 30 lb. briskets on his “custom smoker” I’ve never heard of one that big in my life! Have I simply been under informed?

I dont think length gets much longer at some point they get thicker.
Ive done several 15+ and a 16.

I use the small curved weber rib rack under it until it shrinks some. The rib rack doesnt block heat from any area like wood can.

Big briskets have cooked faster than small for me....go figure. Never used high heat .

Ive had the point on prime be too fatty....i think a choice point is a better point.

Last edited:
I just had a guy tell me he smokes 30 lb. briskets on his “custom smoker” I’ve never heard of one that big in my life! Have I simply been under informed?

You haven't heard of 30 lb. briskets, or a smoker that will cook one that big? :)

A 30 lb. brisket would have to come from a large steer, rather larger than what I'd normally think of as market weight, around 1,000-1,200 lbs.

The smoker in my back yard will smoke up to 10 full packer briskets at once, 15-20 lbs. each.

In thinking that this may be a classic example of “Big Hat, no Cattle”. Maybe?
It was not something like I can do 30+ pounds but, “I can do 30 lb. briskets” proclamations.
To be honest, I don’t want that many hangers on near my grumpy parties!
Bigger is better is not always the endgame, certainly not for me anymore for me! Smaller, better, more carefully designed guestlist. I’ve done mass overindulgence parties, the cleanup is miserable, not doing that ever again!
I strive for “A higher degree of elegance” as a friend of long standing says.

Last edited:

Back