Dry Aging Overnight - Prime Rib Roast

KToliver

TVWBB Fan
Should I bother?

I've read that to properly dry age beef, you should go from 5 to 30 days. I just planned to leave my rib roast out in the fridge overnight to maybe improve the exterior crust, but now I question whether that will serve any purpose at all for such a short period of time.

Thoughts and experience appreciated.

My plan is to season-rub and leave uncovered in fridge overnight. It dries the meat. It should flavor the meat...
Not essential but worthwhile in my book. Good luck with your cook.

That’s what I did; mashed some garlic with salt and pepper then rubbed it on. Been in the fridge since 10 this morning.

Thanks Tim. I wasn't clear enough, was checking on whether it was OK to leave pork uncovered in the fridge, something that Steve mentioned doing with beef.

Thanks Tim. I wasn't clear enough, was checking on whether it was OK to leave pork uncovered in the fridge, something that Steve mentioned doing with beef.

Not sure about uncovered, I never tried it. I can't imagine it would not be "ok", I'm just not sure about the dry brine effect on pork. I personally do as Tom mentioned; I rub pork butts the day before and put them in the fridge in a covered foil pan.

IMHO, a pork butt is generally smoked for a long time and to a higher temp, so having a moist seasoned surface going in helps it absorb more smoke over the length of the cook and contributes to the bark. Meat (unless it is brisket) generally gets pulled much sooner.

Plus, pork butts can give off a significant "aroma" into your fridge!

A couple of points...a dry brine is just salt and any flavors you wish to add and yes as far as I know, all meats will dry brine.
Drying the surface of meat by leaving uncovered for some time in the fridge will enable browning in a steak and bark formation with butts / roasts.
I'm not a pro but just listened to others and try to repeat those techniques that might prove beneficial.

It helps to put the hunk of meat that you're dry brining on a rack, set in a sheet pan, so that air can circulate all around it. Typically, I'll just use salt and dry brine for 24+ hours. The surface of the meat will be dry to the touch and there will be no visible traces of salt.

Jeff

Back