Porchetta vs Porkette

r benash

TVWBB Emerald Member
Moving this from Charcuterie

Ok - so did the searches.

I KNOW what traditional Porchetta is and how to make it.

What I would like to talk about is something that is a traditional thing
in the middle to northeast Atlantic coast in the Italian community.

In most deli's in this area that cater even minimally to Itallan-American folks sell what is called "porketta" or "porkette" NOT porchetta. Porketta/porkette is
a mostly solid/round charcuterie that often is usually rolled with the same spices/herbs profile as traditional porchetta.

it is NOT made by rolling belly with it's spare rib skirt or using a whole pig. We can get that here in Philly (tradditonal Porchetta).

This is a solid round loaf of pork that has the same spices rolled in. It never gets pulled or cut thick. It is ordered from an Italian deli (or a deli that has
an Italian clientele). It is ordered by the pound, sliced thin and comes in it's own pork Jux. You actually order the porketta/porkette by the pound and then add a quart or so of the
stock or so to your order.

To prep at home you unpack the wrapped slices and dump them into a pot with the JUX/stock heat up - pull out with tongs and make a sandwich either plain with the jux or add
other accompaniments like rabe, xsharp provolone, long hots, etc.

I want to make my own - but have never been able to find anything on line that shows the muscle used (I think it might be pork loin). And the technique.

Anyone here work in a deli in this area that can shed some light on what is used and how it is made?

In family we call it "porkette" not porchetta which we know is different than porchetta. I do see that Boars head now sells something they call porketta, but it doesn't seem to have
any spice/herb mix rolled in.

https://boarshead.com/products/detail/524-porketta

Thanks,
Ray

Last edited:
So I did find my answer. It turns out that it is made from pork should. It's fillet and then the same type spices/herbs mixes are used. It's rolled, tied then cooked. Sliced up and then reheated in pork stock. A lot of deli's do not make their own anymore and simply use something like Freda Deli Meats. In particular the Seaoned Roast Pork product. They simply slice it to order and sell pork stock to go with it.

So the style can also be called "Philly Style" roast pork. Which is a misnomer since that's typically a different style, more like pulled pork.

I think I'm going to try to make some up.

Back