Tennessee T-Bone Steak with Whiskey Butter

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
This is what DH wants for dinner tonight. Goody, that means I am having SHRIMP!!!!!

Tennessee T-Bone Steak with Whiskey Butter

2 (1 1/2"thick) T-Bone Steak
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper

BUTTER:

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 TB. whiskey
1 TB. white wine vinegar
1 TB. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Bring grill to medium heat

Cover both sides of your room-temperature steaks with salt and pepper. Put steaks on grill and cook for 9 to 11 minutes, flipping once.

For butter, mix all the ingredients together until well blended. Pack into a bowl using wax paper, cover and chill until your ready to serve.

Source: The Official John Wayne Way To Grill - Great Stories & Manly Meals Shared by Duke's Family - pub. 2015

Last edited:
I have a whole shelf of J.W. books, huge fan as is my wife’s son! That book has not been added to the collection...yet!

I have a whole shelf of J.W. books, huge fan as is my wife’s son! That book has not been added to the collection...yet!

You just made a fan for life. DH is a big fan of John Wayne also. He is out in the kitchen working on his steak now as I type. Will let you know the results in a while.

Till you get your own book, I will be happy to share mine with you. If you want any more J. W. recipes, just let me know.

Last edited:
WOW!!!! DH said his steak was EXCELLANT!!!!!! And he has enough butter left over for another steak.

Thanks Joan, too busy for much experimenting no matter how much I might want to!
I do enjoy most things “Duke”, I have ten JW coffee mugs, four pocket knives, who knows how much other “stuff” I’ve collected! My wife’s son is equally addicted to things “JW”.

Thanks Joan, too busy for much experimenting no matter how much I might want to!
I do enjoy most things “Duke”, I have ten JW coffee mugs, four pocket knives, who knows how much other “stuff” I’ve collected! My wife’s son is equally addicted to things “JW”.

Sounds like a very nice collection. When you have the time, I would love to know what some of your J.W. books are.

Barb and I made it, it was very good. We have the John Wayne book Way to Grill. Also have the John Wayne Cast Iron book as we almost always use our cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens when we can. Some good recipes in that one too.

Finally got around to making this. I thought it was good. Debbie likes her steak just salt and pepper so she did not put it on hers, just tasted mine. Said it was OK but not going to change her ways.

A couple of notes:

I would half the white wine vinegar.

1/2 the recipe is more than enough for two people.

Allen, thank you so much for trying this recipe. As I have noted, I have seafood, (usually shrimp or crab) when DH has steak, so I can't vouch for the recipe. I do know that he made a full recipe of the butter and had a good time using it on other things. lol

I keep him so busy with new recipes, I bet he has forgotten about this one. I will have to pull it and remind him how much he enjoyed it. Bet he will want it tonight. lol

Last edited:
Yep, DH made this again last night for dinner. He said I was having some of the steak and a surprise. I kept saying to myself "please be lobster, and guess what, it was LOBSTER!!!!!! Lucky me. Not only was the lobster very good, I also enjoyed the steak. Now I know why DH enjoys it so much.

Yum! Two of my favorites: whiskey and steak. I will have to try it, with my own variation: cold-smoked, reverse seared ribeye.

I am a big JW fan also, I own 2 JW coffee cups that I really like, I keep 1 at the sons house so I always have 1 to use. I have 1 of his cook books and haven't tried much out of it, Very interesting read with a lot of history. Not a big Liquor fan but might see if I can pu a couple of those small shot size bottles to try this, thanks for posting, I miss a lot of posts due to work/life gets in my way lol

Back