No cooler needed, GE WARM mode

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
With some GE ovens there is a WARM mode that will hold at 150* or another that holds at 170*
That would negate the need to use a cooler to hold Q
(check your model for time limits, it appears one holds for 90 minutes and the other may not have time limit)

In addition, some have PROOF modes for 80-95*

My oven will go very low too, very convenient!
, First time I saw an electric smoker at a sportsman show I thought, Huh, it's just a darn oven with a smoke stack.

My oven can be set to any temp from 150 to 500. Increments of 5 F

Why wouldnt all?

But...in small cooler with towels, does great for many hours. At least 6-8 for me. And doesnt drip grease in oven.

Last edited:
My 16 year-old KitchenAid will only allow settings down to 175, but I put a temp probe in it from my Smoke and it holds a steady 155 at that setting. Perfect for slow roasting a prime rib. Also comes in handy to keep Q warm after coming off the WSM.

Oven, microwave are just an insulated box like a cooler.
I have a dual oven ( convection,frigidaire) and the lowest is 145, but one could just toggle on and off on the lowest setting for as long as you like.

Tim

You've got me researching GE models. I think my wife would love one that had dual chambers. We've got the cheapest oven on the planet, I believe. It's natural gas, though and works fine.

edit-Ok I see the deal. You're paying about twice as much for those features and 3 times as much for a dual oven so a big nope on that.

Last edited:
I have a warming drawer on my whirlpool that I forget about, bad thing is nothing taller than a 9x13 pan, it will hold 2 or 3 of them and works well.my MES will hold 100-275 if I needed it to

We have a GE Profile with a 170 bottom end. While I've never checked it at low temps there is up to a 50 degree +/- swing in the temp at baking temps till the oven finally settles in. I'll have to check it at 170 just to know.

My oven will go very low too, very convenient!
, First time I saw an electric smoker at a sportsman show I thought, Huh, it's just a darn oven with a smoke stack.

Since I installed a new microwave & vented it to the outside (a first for me), maybe I can bring my tube smoker into the house & do some indoor smoking :)

Back