Steak & Potato - coffee rub

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Stopped at the store for a few things, was hoping to find chuck-eye steaks but I found these bone-in NY strips @ $4.99 first. ....couldn't find the CE steaks after but those always seem to disappear quickly.

I made a rub for these, probably 65% coffee (starbucks french roast, very finely ground), 20% kosher salt, 10% black pepper, 5% red pepper flakes. It's pretty interesting! I've used coffee rubs before but not often.

That's an apple split:
80728695_10215940298242232_3601446737597693952_o.jpg

They spent ~5 minutes indirect, then I flipped every 3.5 minutes or so direct. Not sure total time
79309917_10215940307362460_5075747974810697728_o.jpg

79209998_10215940313522614_6751915668527906816_o.jpg

Clint, as usual the meal looks fantastic. I’m interested to hear your opinion on the rub.
Tim

Clint, as usual the meal looks fantastic. I’m interested to hear your opinion on the rub.
Tim

I'm not the biggest fan of the traditional steak seasonings/rubs, I have a few, but I liked this better. I seasoned both sides fairly heavily and left the steaks on the counter for nearly an hour.

I wasn't sure what to expect but I knew I liked the flavor of the powdered seasoning mix I put together in a jar (still have some left). I thought about adding onion & garlic (SPOG + coffee) but thought it'd be a good idea to try without the first time.

the K salt might be replaced with a super-fine ground Himalayan pink salt next time, the kosher flakes really stood out.

This rub is a good start; this coffee was ground powder-fine, I'm sure it'd be good even with a less fine grind so that shouldn't stop anyone.

Steak N Fries

Next thing I need to try is cold smoking the fries before the air fryer. I saved half a potato skin & munched it while the fries were cooking-------------the smoke/grilled potato skin had such a good flavor.

79861389_10215948166638937_1452568440702238720_o.jpg

Great looking strip, Clint!

I have to admit that I’m a sucker for a great coffee/cocoa rub that I use on almost every brisket I make. The grind on the coffee is more like for a drip; not too fine.

I’ll pass it along if you’d like!

I have to admit that I’m a sucker for a great coffee/cocoa rub that I use on almost every brisket I make. The grind on the coffee is more like for a drip; not too fine.

Please do! I didn't even think of cocoa but I like it.

This rub still smelled & tasted really good today.

is your coffee/cocoa rub good for chicken too or what's it best on?

I 2nd what Clint said! Please share the coffee rub, as a brisket is exactly what I was going to use the rub on.
Thanks in advance,
Tim

Next thing I need to try is cold smoking the fries before the air fryer. I saved half a potato skin & munched it while the fries were cooking-------------the smoke/grilled potato skin had such a good flavor.

79861389_10215948166638937_1452568440702238720_o.jpg

Clint, you are a seriously “forward thinking” kind of chef, I really like the idea of the cold smoke!!

All right folks, here it is:

Coffee Cocoa Rub:
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Coffee (french roast medium grind)
1/4 Cup Cocoa (Hershey's Special Dark 100% Cacao)
3 TbspSalt
3 TbspBlack Pepper
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Chili Powder (I LOVE the MadGreens Mad Spice for this)

Folks, I'm telling you, this will ROCK your brisket. The raw smell seems overpoweringly coffee, but the subtle flavors come out during the cook and result in a very subtle and satisfying beef enhancer!

Not sure that I'd recommend this on chicken or pork.

EDIT: Credit where credit is due...I found this some time back from a YouTuber with a channel called "Cooking with Ry".

Last edited:
All right folks, here it is:

Coffee Cocoa Rub:
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Coffee (french roast medium grind)
1/4 Cup Cocoa (Hershey's Special Dark 100% Cacao)
3 TbspSalt
3 TbspBlack Pepper
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Chili Powder (I LOVE the MadGreens Mad Spice for this)

Folks, I'm telling you, this will ROCK your brisket. The raw smell seems overpoweringly coffee, but the subtle flavors come out during the cook and result in a very subtle and satisfying beef enhancer!

Not sure that I'd recommend this on chicken or pork.

KToliver,
Thanks, I think I’m gonna try this this weekend.

KToliver,
Thanks, I think I’m gonna try this this weekend.

That looks really good to me too!

I added a little cocoa powder to my rub & I kind of liked it better without (at first, need to try again). This new recipe got me thinking about coffee, s&p, & chipotle.

Back