SS Rod grate confusion

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Well there you go, Bruce. I guess it is part of the Chinese way of doing things. Who knows what factory what grate set is even made in? Do these companies even exist or are they just labels put on whatever product comes along? I wouldn’t be surprised if these two sets were actually manufactured by different makers and just marketed as “Hongso.”

Yah, Jon, I bet the cheaper and "smaller" Honsgo grates probably come in the same box as the Quilimetal with a sticker over the name. Just like that other set you recently bought.

When I saw it pop up on my phone for that price, I was ready to order 3-4 sets for next spring, but then I did a little checking with my "Grill Parts" list on Amazon and realized they were not the same as the ones I was used to.

Last edited:
My guess is they all come out of the same factory different production runs and specs per whoever gives them the specs say Hsongo or Quilimetal does not make a lot of economic sense for Hsongo or Quillmetal to build factories standalone for grates you would go broke. The factory does a run for Quillmetal they slap their name on it and then decide what to sell it for. This is why you see this stuff go out of stock sometimes, if Hsongo or Quillmetal underestimate the demand its not like you can just do another run cause the factory is not on demand you have to schedule it with them.

I have a friend who works for a company that does the zip lock portion only on plastic bags they have multiple customers with different specs think a small bag and a large bag. Sandwich bags, 32 qt bags or whatever pretty sure when talking to him one time there is a lead time more than a couple of months to get what you want. The factory can't turn on a dime.

Brian, my thoughts as well. But I think also, some factories make a single item and other companies buy them and "rebrand" them which is the case with the qulitmetal grates that Jon was dealing with. It is very common in China with electronics as well. There may be a slight modification from one retailer to another, but generally, it is just a different logo or name stamped on an otherwise identical product.

Last edited:

Back