Foodsaver Advice

Ralph Meyer

TVWBB Fan
Anyone have a vacuum sealer they recommend? My foodsaver pro ii just died after years of faithful service. Their newer ones don't look so hot and based on my friends that have them they aren't as well built as my older one, which would crank out bag after bag after bag-you get the idea.

I guess my budget is $250 if I have to have one. Anything decent out there for that price? Thanks!

We have a 10 year old model from Cabelas. It is still working great. They have a variety of models and price points. I think we might have spent $250-300 on it.

Id get a real light duty commercial one.
There is a difference in vacuum level and performance.
On my wishlist

My little one works good, never has let me down
But 11" bags are tight . Id like bigger.

Last edited:
I will *NEVER* own anything branded Foodsaver ever again. I am not hard on equipment. The first died in less than 5 years, and the second was problematic from purchase. Foodsaver customer service? I'd almost rather call India for IT support (and I got turfed out 18 months ago to an Indian IT company!)

What @MartinB said. Get a better one. I bought a Vacmaster after the second Foodsaver croaked, and it just plain runs rings around what the Foodsavers were capable off, and the manufacturer actually has people who communicate via email and phone.

We gave up on Foodsaver several years ago and spent about $250 for the Cabela's Commercial 12" sealer. It is a Model 20-150, which
appears to no longer be available under that model number. It works very well and if it starts acting up, I install a maintenance kit
which includes new lid gaskets and teflon tape that covers the sealing strip. We also use the Cabela's brand rolls of bag material which
we we think is superior to the Foodsaver brand. When I order bag rolls I order a $20 maintenance kit just to keep one on hand.

Last edited:
I've got the cheapest food saver they make and it keeps on kicking. I've had it a few years, but I'm pretty easy on it.

I've had the Pro II for over 12 years. I really like it and still use it occasionally. However, about two years ago I got a Vacmaster VP-112 from Craigslist. It's a chamber vacuum that doesn't require special bags. I love it. One of the best features is you can put liquid in the bag and vacuum seal it. It's great for storing and freezing soups and stews. I highly recommend upgrading to a chamber vacuum sealer. The bags are so much cheaper. If you use it a lot, you'll make up the difference.

Bill

I've had the Pro II for over 12 years. I really like it and still use it occasionally. However, about two years ago I got a Vacmaster VP-112 from Craigslist. It's a chamber vacuum that doesn't require special bags. I love it. One of the best features is you can put liquid in the bag and vacuum seal it. It's great for storing and freezing soups and stews. I highly recommend upgrading to a chamber vacuum sealer. The bags are so much cheaper. If you use it a lot, you'll make up the difference.

Bill

Ladies & Gentlemen, Bill is one of our earliest, still active members. It's been a couple of years since you've posted, glad to see you're still kickin' around, Bill!

Best,
Chris

Back