Pan seared Halibut with Smokey baked Mac N Cheese

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Down to one more pack of halibut from the one I caught last summer. We really liked the last pan seared batch that I did so I decided to do that again. We've all been craving Mac n Cheese so I whipped up a batch. I used cheese that I cold smoked to give it that smokey kick. Normally I'd use paprika, dry mustard, and several other spices but I couldn't for the life of me find (eventually it turned up, but too late) the dry mustard. So while digging through the cupboard I found the Old Bay seasoning and decided to use that instead of the normal seasonings. Man was that a good idea. Really good substitution that we will use again. Here's the recipe for the Mac n Cheese.

Mac n Cheese

1 pound of your favorite macaroni noodles

For the bechamel sauce:

1 stick of melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups whole milk (half n half is a good sub too)
2 cups grated extra sharp white cheddar (I used Tillamook extra sharp white cheddar that I had smoked)
2 cups grated Colby jack (could sub Monterey) (I used Tillamook Colby Jack that I had smoked)
1 block cream cheese
salt, pepper to taste
2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning (probably could go up to 3 tablespoons)

Pre-heat oven to 375, place rack in middle of oven. (note you can make the dish up to a day in advance of cooking it)

Cook the noodles in salted water until they are al dente. Drain rinse with cold water to stop cooking and set aside.

While cooking the noodles get to grating the cheese.

Over medium heat in a heavy sauce pan melt the stick of butter.
Once melted whisk in flour. Continue to whisk until the mixture is a nice caramel color.
Slowly add milk whisking continuously.
Once all the milk has been incorporated add cheese in 1 cup batches, whisking continuously.
Finally add cream cheese again whisking until incorporated.

In a 9x13 or similar sized casserole dish mix bechamel with noodles. Top with grated cheese (I used Tillamook cheddar)

Cover with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes.

Uncover and place back into oven for 30 more minutes or until the top is bubbly and golden brown.

49208688926_cd5928ff2e_c.jpg

49208204783_cd7e177629_c.jpg

49208906207_63c6cc8cd2_c.jpg

49208906257_8469d23e8e_c.jpg

Looks great to me. Bet it was delicious. We love halibut but I don't think we've had it as fresh as your haul in August.

Back