Texas > Dallas: Terry Black's Barbecue

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I got to go to Terry Black's Barbecue this past weekend in their new location in Deep Ellum in Dallas, Texas. The Black family is famous for Black's Barbecue in Lockhart, Texas. Two brothers opened new BBQ joints in Austin and now in Dallas. They are using modern cooking methods ( i.e. Franklin/John Lewis methods) rather than the old school style served at Black's.

Terry Black's is just down the road from Pecan Lodge which is pretty stiff competition but I think Terry Black's compares favorably. It has parking which is a big advantage and as of right now is not as crowded. I've got a feeling that is going to change soon. When you walk in the pit room is right there.

Those are 1000 gallon Moberg Pits which are in very high demand in Texas and all over the world right now.

The line is pretty much cafeteria style for your sides. We got the mac and cheese, and the potato salad. Both were excellent.

Then you walk up to the meat cutter.

They are using warming ovens similar to a lot of BBQ joints these day. These are set to 145.

I opted for the beef rib, a half pound of fatty brisket and a link of sausage. All were stellar. The beef rib had amazing bark and was tender like a soft pillow of delicious meat heaven. The brisket was perfectly juicy, and very tender. It was too tender for competition style, but perfect for my palate. The sausage was great as well. I noticed they ran the sausage pit a little dirtier than the other pits to get more smoke on them. Those Mobergs run very clean.

If you look closely in this photo you'll see something quite amazing. Need a hint? It's that styrofoam cup sitting on top of the firebox. On a typical smoker that would melt. These Mobergs are so well insulated the top of the firebox was only warm to the touch.

I got to tour the pit room. Notice the little piece of foil they are using to protect the end of the brisket facing the fire box side. The pitmaster told me they also use a couple of sticks of wood on the firebox end cooking grate to provide a buffer for the closest briskets.

Overall, I was very happy with this meal. The quality of bbq this place puts out is amazing. If you are in Dallas go check it out!

That looks like a great joint.

With all those warmers, do they do dinner service also ?

Ya happen to notice if there were was a water pan on the firebox end ? I think I recall seeing a pic of Blacks in Austin and they had a water pan and then two splits of wood.

I'm sort've a geek on brisket pricing , looks like they're at $22 per pound, which seems to be goin rate for prime.

They are open til 9pm so it that was either briskets for dinner, or the next days service. I didn't see if there was a water pan or not and to be honest I'm pretty shy. My wife had to force me to go in and talk to the guy. I immediately said something dumb. I asked if the foil was to protect the meat from the direct heat, and he said "This pit doesn't use direct heat" I of course meant the convection coming through the pit, but I mumbled something and walked off at that point. I wish I had asked more questions. I'll have to try the foil thing the next time I cook a brisket in my offset. The last time I cooked one, that part of the point facing the firebox end dried out. I did notice the briskets they are cooking are small. I'd bet they are in the 10 pound range. The ones in the picture have shrunk considerably.

This Terry Black isn't the same Terry Black who was/is part of Super Smokers in the St. Louis area, right?

Back