"The Granddaddy of Them All"

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
what a beautiful sight!
Congratulations to the Oregon Ducks.... and Good Luck!

On, Wisconsin!

LyBvppo.jpg

Cl3NpiS.jpg

I'm not a huge college football fan, but Pammi and I agree on one thing.
There are too dang many bowls out there!
Yes, Charlotte has one now, but it's still too many.
The original 5 are the only ones that really matter.
Sugar, Rose, Cotton, Orange, Peach.

I too think there are too many bowl games out there, but at the same time, not enough teams considered for the "playoff" and championship. But the Bowls are money makers and it would be difficult to eliminate them, which is one reason they won't expand the post season into a tournament. Not that anyone would ever listen to me, but I think they should actually use the bowl games as the games in a tournament bracket. If I count correctly, there are 40 bowl games, obviously some more significant than others. A 41 team single elimination tournament bracket (including some "play-in" type games) can be made that comes out to exactly 40 games. Or you could bump it to 42 teams and add another bowl. The newer/smaller bowls get the early rounds. The bigger, more established get the later rounds. They can rotate which bowls get the final four and championship games.

All the bowls get to stay, all the bowls matter, we get a tournament.

Good luck, Jim. This has all the makings of a great game. I'm an Oregon graduate (class of '74 in the Dan Fouts and Bobby Moore, AKA Ahmad Rashad, days ) and my competitive BBQ Team name is Duck Q. It sometimes tough to be be an Oregon Duck fan living in the Seattle area since Washington is our biggest rival.

"On to victory urge the hero's of MY mighty OREGON!!" GO DUCKS!

Good luck, Jim. This has all the makings of a great game. I'm an Oregon graduate (class of '74 in the Dan Fouts and Bobby Moore, AKA Ahmad Rashad, days ) and my competitive BBQ Team name is Duck Q. It sometimes tough to be be an Oregon Duck fan living in the Seattle area since Washington is our biggest rival.

"On to victory urge the hero's of MY mighty OREGON!!" GO DUCKS!
Hey Mark, your Ducks clipped the Badgers in the 2012 Rose Bowl, so in all fairness, it's Wisconsin's turn for victory :)
Seriously, the 2012 game between these two schools was an excellent bowl game, certainly one of my favourites despite the outcome.
The Rose Bowl has always been my THE GAME to watch New Years Day no matter the teams playing. Always enjoyed it.
That enjoyment was accelerated in 1994 when Wisconsin returned after a 30 year absence.

Being a midwestern raised kid I have to go with Wisconsin. Like you Jim, the Rose Bowl is a must see but also for us the New Years Rose parade is the warm up for the game. All seen on our big screen from the comfort of our recliners with a hot cup of coffee for the parade and a toddy or two for the game.
Life is good on New Years Day. ;)

I've never thought much of bowl games myself personally

Except as a chance for a good team to play another very good team.... That might help their final rankings.

Thank goodness we have a playoff system somewhat today. It was a very long time in coming, with a lot of straw arguments against it. A lot of that had to do with the existing bowl system at time and the revenue it generated.

If a school plays a somewhat weak schedule, and gets no respect, well that's somewhat their own fault. Clemson is whining about that now. All one has to do is look at it how they played common opponent Texas a&m, Clemson won by 14 points, LSU by 43......... Quite honestly they're lucky to be in there in my opinion, their strength of schedule was pitiful.

on any given day a team can play above their level have a few things go their way and beat a team thats actually better than them. That's why the whole season has to count, in assessing the number one. Who wants a national champion that was a fluke?

Last edited:

Back