Wrapping ribs

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have seen something (can't remember where) about wrapping ribs in butcher paper. Well I have a gorgeous slab of spares waiting to go on the Genesis for tonight's supper. Was thinking about trying a wrap method but using parchment since I don't have butcher. BTW please do not mention foil. Aluminum does not tough my food anymore.
Anyway do you start them wrapped or finish them in the wrap? Inquiring minds (forgetful as well) want to know :D

The classic 3-2-1 recipe calls for three hours unwrapped, two hours wrapped and the last hour unwrapped again with sauce applied at this point if you want it. There are plenty of variations, but I think the basic concept of getting a nice crust first and then covering to increase moistness makes sense. The 3-2-1 works like clockwork for St. Louis style ribs. For baby backs, you might need to shorten the times.

I'll give it a try. I have never wrapped either St Louis or baby backs. Both have always turned out juicy and tender. I am just looking to try something just a little different is all

Oh you guys are gonna be the death of me. I have seen where people do that, but I figured it was either a gimmick or not really worth the hassle. But now you make me think I will be doing this on my next rack of ribs. Where do you get the pink butcher paper for a reasonable price?

Oh you guys are gonna be the death of me. I have seen where people do that, but I figured it was either a gimmick or not really worth the hassle. But now you make me think I will be doing this on my next rack of ribs. Where do you get the pink butcher paper for a reasonable price?

I don’t know if you think this is reasonable, but seems fair for the large amount you get. I like that it is USA made. Good reviews.

Pink Butcher BBQ Paper Roll (18 Inch by 175 Feet) Food Grade Peach Wrapping Paper for Smoking Beef Brisket Meat Texas Style, All Natural and Unbleached
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07BYGGKMD/tvwb-20

I admit that I have been using aluminum foil, but I have been wanting to switch to this.

I don’t know if you think this is reasonable, but seems fair for the large amount you get. I like that it is USA made. Good reviews.

Pink Butcher BBQ Paper Roll (18 Inch by 175 Feet) Food Grade Peach Wrapping Paper for Smoking Beef Brisket Meat Texas Style, All Natural and Unbleached https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07BYGGKMD/tvwb-20

I admit that I have been using aluminum foil, but I have been wanting to switch to this.

That should be reasonable, I may grab a roll of 18" x 150'. First, I want to get a review from Larry.

Well I did them 2.5 hours unwrapped and another 3 or so wrapped. I think my temps may have been just a little higher than I wanted for that long of a cook though. Bottom line I only ribbed them did not sauce them. Flavor and tenderness was excellent but I think I should have done them 30 min less unwrapped and 45 min less wrapped and they would have been perfect. I think parchment was an excellent stand in for pink butcher also.
w2AEJGN.jpg

I have done St Louis ribs twice with Harry's method I used foil in the oven to finish them off. Basically a little more then 4 1/2 half hours to 5 depending on how you like them as he is using the high heat method which is becoming more popular basically getting them in the smoker at 275 for 2 hours 15 minutes or so then using all the spices the honey and whatever wrapping them and finishing in the oven.

Harry claims after a few hours the ribs are going to absorb all the smoke they are going to absorb so he is cheap and moves them to the oven at the same 275 temp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIdEeZ7x094

Basically this is the Texas Crutch method which I have used for years just a different spin.

Last edited:
I thought the "Texas Crutch" was boiling the ribs?

No its basically what you do in the 3-2-1 which is foil after 3 hours for 2 hours then unfoil 1 hour. Since I do not sauce my ribs and even though I have used Harry's method if I want them to fall off the bone which is what my family prefers I do them at 225 for 3 hours then foil for 3 hours skipping the unfoiling period. I give them a quick check after 5 1/2 hours.

Harry's method on high heat will save you at least an hour and they will be firm, I used a toothpick to know when they were ready to pull. Harry is doing competition ribs if they fall off the bone he is disqualifed.

They were tasty. Had a nice "bark" on them, impressive smoke ring from the cherry wood chucks I used as well. I just could have shortened the cook a bit as they did dry just a tad

Wrap them up and send them to me Larry. I am damn hungry right now. Dry or not.

OK, Right you are Brian. Here is the recipe that I use for my ribs, however, I have not tried the wrapping option yet.

https://amazingribs.com/best-barbecue-ribs-recipe

Bruce, whatever gets you there and you will get a thousand opinions on using the crutch or never use the crutch. I have been using the crutch for over 10 years and never had overcooked or dry ribs. I use Harry's honey and the other stuff he has in the video when I wrap them now used to just use apple juice.

I am going to do them Harry's style the next time again and see if I can get them a little more to fall off the bone his method saves a lot of time and of course you do not need to keep an eye on the smoker temps once you pull them cause they are going into the oven so no need to monitor have a few cocktails and watch football.

I think what a lot of sites fail to mention is unless you go to a butcher your not going to get baby back ribs as they are not sold in the supermarket or places like Costco those are back loin ribs and if you can cook those in 5 hours you are way better than I am unless you use Harry's method. I prefer St Louis but nothing wrong with back ribs.

They were tasty. Had a nice "bark" on them, impressive smoke ring from the cherry wood chucks I used as well. I just could have shortened the cook a bit as they did dry just a tad

They looked great can you ship me a case of that cherry. :) I had a small cherry tree many many years ago that was cut down finally used it up all a few years ago really a great smoking wood.

Nice looking ribs Larry. I haven't done L&S ribs in a long time. I use the high heat method for St. Louis spares and baby backs. Start to finish about 2 1/4 hours, but that's on the performer not a gasser, haven't tried them on that yet. Down side is you don't get a strong smoke flavor and I think you would have to use tin foil and I understand your reluctance to using that. Not sure if the butcher paper would hold the apple cider. Other than that I really can't tell much difference in the flavor and texture, but both Barb and I aren't big fans of heavy smoke.

Back