Need help identifying Vintage Weber Charcoal Grill used for Thanksgiving cook.

JeffG

TVWBB Emerald Member
Some Pictures.

TuacXWY.jpg

nuV7aCv.jpg

j0ifL0O.jpg

UCu39GC.jpg

qHHyX0z.jpg

ghwpf0M.jpg

Last edited:
From the WKC forum:
"The earliest green kettles Weber made were the Avocado Green kettles. Introduced around 1967 and available through 1973. This had a super cool “mist” or two tone finish that varied in visibility through its production run."
http://weberkettleclub.com/gallery/green-weber-grill-gallery/

Decent looking avocado. Easily worth a a couple hundred.

Thanks Bob and Dave.

It was pouring rain in Palm Springs over the Thanksgiving weekend, had 15 people to feed so a $3.99 a pound Prime Rib from Stater Bros.came into play.

3F35SK4.jpg

XBW33hF.jpg

And a couple of the Turkeys cooking..

Uz9wFF0.jpg

View of the snow level looking over the backyard fence the next morning.

8yoEJFB.jpg

Last edited:
Any ideas what the metal ring in the first photo is for?, doesn't look like a rotisserie ring.
Also anybody notice the inverted Vortex in the Rib Roast video?:cool:

That's my dream kettle grill! Someday I will have an avocado. Can't afford the asking price these days, though...Enjoy it!

Any ideas what the metal ring in the first photo is for?, doesn't look like a rotisserie ring.
Also anybody notice the inverted Vortex in the Rib Roast video?:cool:

The metal ring in the first photo almost looks like a home brew ring of some sort. It isn't an old kebab ring based on the notches at the top.

I also noticed a Vortex. It is one of the more popular ways to do an indirect cook. I have seen people use it as shown, or I have even seen people put a hunk of meat on something right on the charcoal grate in the opening. For a prime rib it probably works pretty well that way. With Turkey people tend to position baskets in a "C" shape at the leg side of the turkey as the legs don't dry out as much as the chicken breast when over cooked.

That is a very nice Cado you got there! Hope I can find one like it eventually! If you want to do a full restore there is a lot of tutorials over on WKC. I would also recommend evapo-rust for rust removal on the triangle. It can be used on the kettle itself and the wheels, but be careful as to how long you leave it in if any kettle or parts are rusted very badly. It won't damage the porcelain in my experience, but it eats any kind of rust at all and sometimes it is just rust holding it together. DO NOT USE EVAPO RUST GEL ON THE KETTLE AS SOME HAVE SEEN DISCOLORATION. Not sure what to do about the rubber wheels. It isn't a problem I have had to bother with unfortunately.

IIRC I saw someone here or elsewhere use a rubber engine timing belt for the wheel treads.

Tim

I did notice the Vortex! Have not used mine in that configuration yet. The ring is a bit of a puzzler, not tall enough for a rotisserie as far as I can tell but, who knows?

I have seen the ring before look closely he has a rotis hooked up to it so he spun the turkey I assume and the ring gives height as well as fitting the rotis.

Here is one from cajun bandit, they are not cheap.

https://www.cajunbandit.com/product...er-smokey-mountain-rotisserie-electric-motor/

Not the same ring as in the original photo. I think it’s a different item. The one used for the rib roast (why wasn’t I invited!) looks like a CB, the shorter one almost looks like a standard Weber ring but thinner like maybe four inches?

Cajun Bandit isn't cheap, but it isn't made cheap either. Their rings are made of stainless steel and is the best deal you will find for a NIB roti. About the only way I would go with something else is if you were lucky enough to buy a working roti used for under $100. I also have their kettle conversion kit that right now I primarily use for chicken cooks, but next season I plan on stacking the roti and the conversion kit together to use as a smoker. I know someone else that uses the roti/conversion combo for a smoker and they no longer use their WSM as it has similar capacity. Sure if you get lucky and find a good WSM used for $200 that is great, but those opportunities in my area are next to 0. I think the cost of the conversion kit and roti was less than a NIB WSM so I am happy and don't need to keep an extra spot open for a smoker.

If you sign up for their newsletter they frequently have 10% off sales. If you are lucky, the item you are looking for will be available during the sale. Right now I think their stock on their 22 roti is gone because we just had Thanksgiving and there were a few 10% sales this fall.

Cajun Bandit isn't cheap, but it isn't made cheap either. Their rings are made of stainless steel and is the best deal you will find for a NIB roti. About the only way I would go with something else is if you were lucky enough to buy a working roti used for under $100. I also have their kettle conversion kit that right now I primarily use for chicken cooks, but next season I plan on stacking the roti and the conversion kit together to use as a smoker. I know someone else that uses the roti/conversion combo for a smoker and they no longer use their WSM as it has similar capacity. Sure if you get lucky and find a good WSM used for $200 that is great, but those opportunities in my area are next to 0. I think the cost of the conversion kit and roti was less than a NIB WSM so I am happy and don't need to keep an extra spot open for a smoker.

If you sign up for their newsletter they frequently have 10% off sales. If you are lucky, the item you are looking for will be available during the sale. Right now I think their stock on their 22 roti is gone because we just had Thanksgiving and there were a few 10% sales this fall.

Bill, I was in no way dissing Cajun Bandit they make really good stuff. I am fortunate to have plenty of room for my grills so I have a Silver C, a 1000 which is going to my daughter, a UDS which basically is a homemade WSM and a performer. I never would tell anybody they spent to much for their toys and I agree with you finding a WSM in the ATL for under $200 used not going to happen very often and you would have to be quick on the trigger but to be honest the UDS does the job very well and I only smoke ribs and such 3 or 4 times a year just not an investment that would pay off for me to find a used WSM. I have quite a few friends who have them though and love them.

I didn't figure it was a diss at all. I just wanted to make it clear as to why the price is what it is. They are great products that I would recommend to anyone. I just wanted to share my experience with them and offer anyone the opportunity to get them a little cheaper. I have heard excellent things about UDS as well, but unless you make your own the cost on them is also a little high if buying in store. If you are skilled enough to do a home brew UDS they are a great option. No worries man. :)

Yes Bill I built my own UDS about 10 years ago company down the street from work sold brand new barrels for $25 which is one of the difficulties finding a clean barrel. bought a Walmart knockoff kettle for $30 bucks which gave me a hinged dome lid with the vent and the grate, lucky as my barrel is tapered at the top so the Walmart lid fit perfectly as not all barrels are created equal. Built my own charcoal basket out of expanded steel so I could easily go 14 or 15 hours on a smoke and ended up in it for $110 bucks. They as you said are pricey if you buy them in a store.

Back