Mr Lampe, you might want to sit down if you read this

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Jim and I have, all in fun, went back and forth about Brussel sprouts over the years.
He the lover of them, me the hater.
I saw this article recently and decided to give them a try after many years of avoiding the little ba$tards.
https://www.bhg.com/news/brussels-sprouts-less-bitter/

Following my sprout loving daughter's suggestions, I got out my Wagner skillet and fired up the grill.

No more kidding from me Jimmy, these were great, with no bitterness!
My daughter's directions:
Cook bacon, remove to paper towels, then saute the sprouts and onions in the bacon grease. Season with SPOG.
Add a little broth, I used beef, cover and steam until tender.
I topped mine with grated Parm, bread crumbs, and the bacon.
Thanks for viewing!

Looks like a winner to me, Bob! Thanks for posting this. I have had hits and misses with Brussels sprouts. I will definitely give this method a try.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of BS, either. But some I've seen in restaurants have A LOT more char than what you put on these. You might try that next time and see if that makes 'em even better.

Bob. I read the article you posted awhile ago and as a child I hated BS some much I would rather eat my dogs lawn sausages. Now Barb and I love em. Barb has a binder with just BS recipes in it and lots of them.
If you have a Trader Joes near you they in the fall have them on the stalks, super fresh.
Barb cleans the loose leaves off them then I blanch them in boiling water for two minuets and put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer and the next day we vacuum seal them about six or so to a bag. They stay perfect up to a year.

Dang; that pic makes me almost want to try some sprouts.

Is that blue bowl a custom WSM 14 water pan? :p

BS are one of our family favorites, we eat them often. Glad you finally saw the light.

I really hated sprouts when I was a kid, I’ve since learned the error of my ways. Steamed, roasted, skillet roasted bacon or just buttered, the whole smash! I’m very pleased that my entire family enjoys them too, my grandson and granddaughter have loved them since they were very young! Most vegetables make them quite happy!

As a kid at home we were taught to clean our plates and not waste food. I had to gag down more sprouts than I care to remember.
Bob, yours look good, but I promised myself "never again" for sprouts, and well a promise is a promise..... :)

...like rum, you will always find Brussels sprouts in our home (until we've eaten'um up)
I do remember eating them as a kid some 50 years ago when my mom would cook'em til complete mush.
Still ate'm.

These days, we make them in various different ways yet quite not the same way as ma made'm. :)

Thanks for the article Bob, and very happy you took the dive. They look Delicious!

roasting in a sheet pan with olive oil and balsamic vinegar is a favourite here...

All brussel sprouts need is a little salt and butter imo.
All spinach needs is salt, and a little sliced hard boiled egg.

Its funny, as kids all our friends hated spinach and brussel sprouts, my siblings and I liked both.

Wasnt till i ate at someone elses i realized why they hated it.

Its not hard for some to ruin things.

As you get older, i think you appreciate the diversity in tastes that food has. Particularly vegetables. I can crave certain vegetables occassionally. Children are predisposed to like sweet and tasty things, high in calories. And some adults think everything must be drowned in imitation liquid cheese sauce.

Last edited:
That recipe sounds and looks awesome. Will be adding that to my book of BS. Thanks for sharing and enjoy them again.

Bacon...the duct tape of the food world.

Seriously, though, I don't remember the last time I tried brussel sprouts, but I do know that I really did not like them at that time. I have to admit, though, that looks really good.

All brussel sprouts need is a little salt and butter imo.
All spinach needs is salt, and a little sliced hard boiled egg.
yes... in your opinion.
I KNOW I can eat Brussels completely naked, meaning, nothing on them at all. no salt, no butter, no cheeses, nothing.
Spinach, I can eat right out of the garden, can, cooked, raw, any way but frozen. Any day, any time.

I made some again today, using Jim's suggestion to oven roast them. Thanks Jim!
Seasoned, garlic olive oil, and some diced summer sausage = Wonderful!

49189509743_6543a1ec27.jpg

Bob, when I was a kid, mom would cook frozen Brussel sprouts to DEATH, then insist I eat 3 before I could leave the table.
After dousing/covering in much grated parmesan cheese, I'd pretty much swallow them whole to get it over with.
Then, I saw on FN where someone had charred them like that. And it looked amazing!
Pammi cooked them up and they were delicious!
I like them shaved on a mandolin and cooked like that too.
I've also found a way that I'll eat okra.
Split the pod lengthwise, S&P and olive oil and roast or grill indirect for 29 minutes or so until tender and slightly crispy.
Yummy!

here are some great ways to make "BS" ;)

https://carlsbadcravings.com/roasted-brussels-sprouts/

We are big sprouts fans. My favorite is to cook a little bacon (of course) and then cook the brussels (halved) in the bacon fat. Towards the end, we add the crumbled bacon back in, plus some chopped pistachios, a little maple syrup and a few squeezes of fresh lemon juice. Delish !!

Back