Should I pursue this grill

It depends on what you think "free" is worth. It looks like the grill is missing the handle on the lower part, but I can't say for sure based on the photo. You could most likely make this unit cook just fine, perhaps with a bit of DIY work. You could easily fit a generic handle from the hardware store or make one out of a piece of metal strap and add some DIY wooden handle insulators and you'd be good to go. Replacement grills, if necessary, are usually available at your local Lowes or Home Depot.

So if you don't have a charcoal grill or if you need another one for a vacation home or hunting camp, I'd say go for it if it's only 20mi away.

Pass. $35 kettle at its best. That model should have one handle on the bowl,
that is not viewable from that angle. It will still make you a great cooker, but
it has no collector value.

It isn't anything special. I believe on the front there is at least one handle. There are a few lines of Weber where they only did one bowl handle (Target maybe?). If it is free and you don't have a lot of Weber kettles sitting around it might be worth the grab. I would use it as a spare kettle when needed. Even better as Pizza Kettle rig because you abuse the snot out of a kettle when you do that. I have my black kettle burning at over 700 degrees and the charcoal baskets are glowing. You know that can't be good on the porcelain finish! Even if the sweeps are garbage it won't matter for a Pizza rig as you want all vents wide open.

I think the legs were put in the wrong spots. The leg with no wheel should be under the handle on the kettle body. Free is always a very good price, even if just to clean it up and give it to a friend or relative!

Picking it up tomorrow morning. I figure "free" what the heck. If nothing else, it is just a parts grill. I won't put a lot of money it. I tried a rehab and flip on a premium version with the ash catcher this summer and it was basically a bust. I got my money back, but zero for my labor and time.

Yeah unless you get the black kettles for almost nothing they really aren't great for flipping. Black Weber kettles are just about everywhere. The color and older kettles have more of a market (for keeps or parts), but in my honest opinion they are better to keep or trade for something you want rather than resale.

Well, I grabbed it. Pretty much intact and usable, but the grates could use replacing. The handle on the front shows signs of the Chernobyl effect and there is a bit of rust down by the leg mounts, but otherwise, in decent, useable shape. It will just be a parts grill.

Bruce, before you part it out, do yourself a favor.
Buy a bag of charcoal, AND COOK ON IT!
I love the flavor of good charcoal grilled food.
Unfortunately, I only take the time to do so a
few times a year.

Dave, The charcoal grate is in tough shape, but probably would hold briquettes OK and the ash pan is pretty bent up, but I could probably cook something on it as it sits. I probably wont do anything with it until this spring and then maybe I will cook on it. But, if I find a need for parts before then, it will get parted. But, then, the only way that happens is if I have another coal burner to fix up which means I still have a coal burner. Anyway, I have grilled on coal before....but not for many, many years. What I remember most is spraying a bunch of lighter fluid on the coals to get the coals going. Then having to wait so long for the coals to get nice and hot and evenly burning and to get the lighter fluid taste burned out of them. Then comes the problem when done and having to deal with a kettle full of hot coals and worrying about on the deck or having a kid touch it or whatever. Just too much hassle for my taste to do on a regular basis.

I think maybe the pellet grills will start to cut into the use of coal burners for those reasons.

Bruce,

I am with Dave. You should at least give it one run with some good charcoal and maybe a few wood chuncks. I use a propane blowtorch with a long handle to light mine. Pretty cheap at the big box stores. Try it. You might get hooked!

Back