Thermal cover for the 18.5"

AlanM

Has anyone found a source for the Heat Shield Products thermal jacket for the 18.5?

I looked at a number of alternatives including a couple I've made with some of the recommended materials. My DIY efforts didn't handle the heat at hotter cooks so I'm back to exploring a commercial solution. I like the way the Heat Shield product fits but cannot find it to purchase.

I have and use the one from BBQ Gurus. Used it for the recent turkey smoke.

3smokerjack1119.jpg

That’s the one you reviewed, right Chris?
Yep, it’s pricey but, from the look you’d never need to replace it!

Last edited:
I think I have read about someone using a welding blanket as a blanket for their WSM.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-ft-x-6-ft-fiberglass-welding-blanket-67833.html
Tim

I've used a fiberglass welding blanket and it does work, and handles the heat. It's just a bear to work with. I have also made a blanket for the pit barrel using an automotive firewall product rated to 300*F. It worked well for 225* cooks. But cooking at higher temperatures caused the inner insulation material to begin to melt.

I modified my blanket by adding three layers of the fiberglass blanket material to the inside of my DIY blanket. This added margin to the upper temp limit but it also begin to melt after a long cook above 325*. I'm considering trying one more time by removing the automotive blanket and constructing around the fiber glass material only. This is a challenging task since the fiber glass material is challenging to work with. If I find success I'll report back.

That’s the one you reviewed, right Chris?
Yep, it’s pricey but, from the look you’d never need to replace it!

Yes, that's the one I reviewed in my video. The maker thinks this product gives the WSM the efficiency of a ceramic cooker at lower total cost, i.e. $329 WSM + $239.90 cover is less than $859 BGE large.

The thing with cheap fiberglass welding blankets is that they shed particles when handled.
I worked with them and always itched after handling. You lay it over something in direct sunlight and you can just see the fiberglass particles floating thru the air.
Not something you want to drape over a smoker when it can affect the food IMO.

Tim

I'm glad I found this string - I agree with Chris - the heat shield product is a bit too over priced. Is anyone using the insulating blanket from lava lock or bbq guru? it looks like it works just like the storage cover but has a cut out in the top for the top vent. At < $150 I can probably swing this without spousal approval ;) my only reservation would be that it would seem more than a bit akward when you need to spritz or otherwise lay eyes on your meat. Also does it have holes in the side so you can get temperature probes thru it?

Ive never found need for one.....I dont see really cold temps in louisiana....but 350 + isnt an issue using blower/atc if light enough coals to start.

Good lord they are proud of their covers....

Back when I had a Meco....(total POS, only used it for turkeys)...i used a big cardboard box around it. Only way to keep temperature up .

Last edited:

Back