Another 304 SS rod grate for the Silver/Gold grills

Well, I just ordered a set. I will let everyone know how they compare when I get them. I don't think I have a set of Honsgo to compare them to though.

Pretty much standard mid level SS Rod grates. I dont have a set of quilitmetal or Hongo grates to compare them too, but there are right there in that ball park.
I used a caliper on the rods and found them to be about 6.8mm instead of a full 7mm. Probably standard though. About a 12mm gap which I assume is basically the same as the other 16x7mm rod grates. There was a very slight amount of magnetism with a very strong magnet. Does that still qualify as 304SS? The rods are all beveled very nicely with no sharp edges. They are the exact same length as my RCP grates, so no chance of falling in on a warped cook box.

I wish I had a set of my Honsgo grates to compare them with or even a set of Qulimetal or even the Midwest, but I think the price might move them to the top of my list for general flip grills.

Both Hongso and Qlimetal show a very small amount of magnetic attraction. In fact, virtually ALL of the grates I tested - even rcplanebuyer’s - have a small amount of that. Some say it has to do with the welding. If your grates are 430 (such as some Weber and the Midwest Hearth), you will know it because the magnetic attraction will be strong.

If they keep their price in line, this new company sounds like a winner for nice quality flip grills. I will just toss in that I have a Spirit grill for sale at our Thrift Store. I put the cheapest stainless grates leftover from my “Stainless Rod Grate Throwdown.” That was the BBQ Toro, and while definitely the cheapest and least impressive of all that I compared, they still look halfway decent on a cleaned up grill.

KxlAZBf.jpg

Last edited:
I don't like the way those grates sit on the cross member like that. They should have welded the cross members back an inch or two on each end.

Yep, they definitely have shortcomings. I won’t buy another one, but they helped add diversity to my comparison. Pretty much, any set of Genesis grates less than $100 is going to have some compromise. This one was intended for price competition only, and it shows. Still, I don’t think a lot of people will notice.

One thing that the placement of the support bars does is to keep these grates from shifting around. Once you anchor them the way I show above, they are pretty secure. A cheap shortcut vs. having grates the correct, full size, but it does work in its own way.

Last edited:
Qlimetal by another name?!!!!

I missed out on the $4.00 off on these new grates that Bruce introduced, but I found that they had a "used" set still in the box for just $36. I figured these would be an open box return, which I was fine with. I wanted to update my comparison and especially compare these to the more expensive but apparently similar Hongso and Qlimetal grates.

I was pretty surprised, then, when my grates came promptly but in a surprising package:

WELJMDJ.jpg

Yes, that is a QLIMETAL box with a sticker over the logo. I confirmed with Bruce that his "new" set came this way, too. I compared them to my Qlimetal set. Identical! Not sure whether this is a Chinese "change the name game," some kind of piracy, or Amazon foolishness. These grates are one and the same as Qlimetal. Look at the "free" temperature guide that came inside:

XAEHffa.jpg

That's not all a bad thing as Qlimetal grates are VERY good. I guess I am pretty happy to have gotten a set that was never really "used" for just $36, but I was disappointed that they were not an all new product. And, I don't appreciate the game that is being played.

Jon, that happens with a whole lot of chinese products. Especially electronics and tools. One factory makes a product and then they are sold to retail outlets and rebranded but aside from a label or a logo, they are the exact same product being sold by totally different vendors under their unique name.

Back