Can an Instant Pot Smoke a Brisket

Well, hmmmm.

1: I don't like the way she seasoned the meat.
2: Why?
3: I'm trying very hard not to be too critical here, but it just reeks of "Instagramy-bloggy-I-have-nothing-better-to-do-so-I-have-to-make-something-up-YouTubey" crap.

At least I know the answer to the questionless issue though.

It was fun to watch though. :)

Didn’t watch the “media nasal excretion” but, I can see by Mr. Quist’s post, that my lack of desire to spend that time is time well saved.
What an idiotic concept! “Can you use an Instant Pot to smoke a brisket!?” Go home, lock the door buffoon! You can pressure cook and “Fake Smoke” (Vape?) something in a pressure environment but, NO, You Cannot Smoke in an instant pot.
Your culinary card has been shredded and will not be returned under any circumstances.
Really!?
It’s a great tool for many things, smoking isn’t in its design.

Barb and I pulled the trigger yesterday on an Instant pot that was half off, after seeing so many recipes that call for one we decide to give it a try.
Just for giggles I looked up some IP rib recipes and what I found was a total hoot. From one lady saying "just use liquid smoke it's the same as real smoke you can't tell the difference" to
"you want the meat to just fall of the bone before you put BBQ sauce on it and put it under the broiler for 5-10 minuets" Really!

Barb and I pulled the trigger yesterday on an Instant pot that was half off, after seeing so many recipes that call for one we decide to give it a try.
Just for giggles I looked up some IP rib recipes and what I found was a total hoot. From one lady saying "just use liquid smoke it's the same as real smoke you can't tell the difference" to
"you want the meat to just fall of the bone before you put BBQ sauce on it and put it under the broiler for 5-10 minuets" Really!

HaHa!!!! I've been served some unusual "BBQ", I've eaten most without complaint :)

I'm sure you don't need any more ideas, but:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72933-Things-I-ve-made-in-my-insta-pot-(that-are-worth-repeating)

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76...making-Chile-Verde-in-my-instapot-before-long

the 2nd thread mentions ATK's pork carnitas, I've done that in the IP >several times.

The sad truth is that most people can’t tell the difference and falling off the bone is good BBQ to them. Oh well.

Rich, we love our IP. They are very versatile. I make some wicked cheesecake in it. It's great for cooking beans too. Last week we made Mongolian beef that turned out great. You can find all sorts of recipes on line. It might replace your "Weber" crock pot.

The IP looks like a fantastic tool but, it’s just a tool. Honestly you’d have a really hard time driving a screw with an ice pick, it’s using the right tool for the job. Cheesecake, I can leave alone, never really gave a hoot for it. But, some of the things that I’ve seen from Instant Pots have looked amazing,
Just another man’s opinion.

The instant pot is awesome IMO. Great for making crockpot type recipes in a fraction of the time.

Obviously no one who frequents a BBQ forum is going to be the biggest fan of the idea of IP ribs or brisket. But there are a lot of people who live in apartments with no patio or balcony, or people who just don’t own and don’t want the perceived mess or hassle of an outdoor grill. For those people, the IP plus some liquid smoke is a way to get sort of close, (in flavor at least but in texture not so much) to the BBQ flavors. So these recipes do have their niche.

Obviously you won’t catch me or anyone else on this forum making ribs in an Instant Pot. But the IP has definitely earned it’s spot in our kitchen for the long term, unlike many of the other small appliances that have moved in and our kitchen in the years since my wife and I have lived together.

Last edited:
Rich, we love our IP. They are very versatile. I make some wicked cheesecake in it. It's great for cooking beans too. Last week we made Mongolian beef that turned out great. You can find all sorts of recipes on line. It might replace your "Weber" crock pot.

Replace the Weber crock pot!!! That will never happen we've been through too much together. The thought just gives me chills.:(
But I am looking forward to experimenting with the IP. I've been surfing the net and like you said there is a boatload of IP recipes out there.

Last edited:
Now that's a first for me, seeing someone dump wood chips in the bottom of a pressure cooker and expecting what /that to add smoke flavor?:confused:

Tim

Not a completely crazy idea - people age whiskey in (sometimes smoked) barrels. Not that I plan on using chips in my IP :)

Harry soo has a video of cooking brisket in a couple hours. 1 hr at high heat on grill, then into pot. Didnt look that appetizing.

Lots of people cook brisket in oven, its not real bbq, but its tasty. The au jus is basically. Sauce.

Last edited:
<scratches head> Don't think I've ever heard of whiskey or distilled spirits in general being aged in a fresh barrel, always a charred barrel.

As far as in kitchen smoking goes, restaurant kitchens frequently have nested hotel pans, the top pan has a perforated bottom. Soaked wood chips go in the bottom pan, the food goes in the top, sealed over with foil and placed over a burner or two.

I was pretty sure the video was going to turn into a fail (couldn't bring myself to watch it with the sound on.....) especially when the chicken stock was dumped in. The silicon trivet after chips would start to smolder I'd expect to turn into a complete loss.

You should check out this guy (if you haven't already).https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/all-recipes/
He knows his way around a IP (and other things) and I think he was/is a member here?
Since buying the IP and my Sous vide I like to read his take on recipes.

Tim

Back