10 Years ago today ...........

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Daniel Vaughn
@BBQsnob
10 Years ago today @FranklinBbq
first opened the window to their BBQ trailer. Happy Anniversary. #FreshBBQshirt day 70.

https://twitter.com/BBQsnob/status/1201544362087387136?s=20

10 years is really a short period of time to have the impact that Aaron Franklin has had on the barbecue world.

I can't recall a book such as his, having as great an impact on any field, as Franklin's book.

And Franklin goes from a guy opening a barbecue trailer to a globally known celeb in a few years.

He changed how I looked at barbecue and his success is a great American success story. Especially for a guy with no college degree.

Franklin has his way of doing things and it has worked quite well for him. His appearances on BBQ Pitmasters really put him in the limelight. I wonder how much that had to do with his notoriety.

I did not find him through BBQ Pitmasters, I noticed his PBS series on barbecue and being named best barbecue by Bon Appetit.

Then it was his book that really impacted me.

Every product he uses to smoke brisket, from butcher paper to knives , is a top seller on Amazon. That in itself is amazing.

Last edited:
It's amazing what media can do. He was one of many great BBQ guys in Austin and something clicked.

Well, kind of .......... What he John Lewis did was different than the Lockhart bunch. I understand it still is today.

Franklin opened up that trailer and within weeks people were lined up to buy brisket. That's how the media found him. Then what he was doing began to proliferate. Lewis was his original partner in the trailer, and Lewis left to open a joint a Charleston because he said there were too many people in Austin doing what he and Franklin were doing.

It's amazing what media can do. He was one of many great BBQ guys in Austin and something clicked.

The standard for brisket in Central Texas is pretty high and Franklin took it up a notch beyond that. His OCD approach to every aspect of cooking a brisket is something no one else has ever done. The result is noticeably and consistently better than the rest. You might find a better turkey, or sausage, or rib somewhere else, but never a better brisket. We have excellent brisket just down the road, but Franklin's is a once-a-year treat for us.

As a personality, he speaks coherently and comfortably about just about anything to just about anybody.

Jeff

The standard for brisket in Central Texas is pretty high and Franklin took it up a notch beyond that. His OCD approach to every aspect of cooking a brisket is something no one else has ever done. The result is noticeably and consistently better than the rest. You might find a better turkey, or sausage, or rib somewhere else, but never a better brisket. We have excellent brisket just down the road, but Franklin's is a once-a-year treat for us.

As a personality, he speaks coherently and comfortably about just about anything to just about anybody.

Jeff

Jeff, Harry Soo just posted a vid on YT of his trip to the Creekside Cookers in Wimberly , I thought about you and wondered if you've visited ?

When I think of brisket, I think of Anthony Bourdain's trip to Franklin's with Daniel Vaughn.

Specifically the scene where Franklin tossed a brisket on the counter and gave it a couple of pats. It jiggled like a bowl of jello.

Love it when mine turn out like that.

Jeff, Harry Soo just posted a vid on YT of his trip to the Creekside Cookers in Wimberly , I thought about you and wondered if you've visited ?

Lynn,
Haha! I just got back from lunch at Creekside and saw this! Excellent video that captures the spirit of the place. I first had some of Kelly's brisket about 5 years ago when he catered a motorcycle run from The Hog Pound motorcycle shop here in town. I was blown away. About a year later, he parked his food trailer in a lot across from the Ace Hardware along with a few others and he was an instant hit with the locals. For several years, folks were pushing him to open a permanent place and when the old San Angelo Mexican restaurant folded, he bought the building. It's a great location on the edge of town near the Blanco River. He does an interesting thing for a barbecue place -- at dinner it becomes a steak house, complete with baked potatoes, veggies and a wine list. They're a hard-working bunch that is enjoying success.

It was busy at lunch today -- just like every day. I had a hunk of brisket point that looked exactly like the one on Harry's tray in the video, a slice of turkey and a jalapeño sausage link. Janis had pork belly and brisket tacos. (The pork belly is killer.) We've had just about everything on the lunch menu and it's all very top shelf. Wimberley is a a little gem of a town off the beaten path between Austin and San Antonio. In the summer, it's a favorite getaway for city dwellers. Creekside Cookers is one more reason to love it.

Jeff

Its really difficult for a barbecue joint to serve dinner. Opening for lunch until sold out works best.

Becoming a steak house for dinner service is pretty smart, IMO.

Back