More turkey

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Whenever I'm cooking with the outdoor equipment I use it for relaxation and therapy. Since the turkey smoke on Thanksgiving day was not enjoyable due to the clothes dryer fire, I aimed to make up for it today by spinning this breast. The plan was to freeze this cook and make turkey chili in a couple weeks but the skin taste and texture is so perfect (by luck) that I may need to change that thought. I can hear the skin when I bite down :p

I hope everyone has an enjoyable week!

That is some seriously good looking turkey. Enjoy.

Sorry to hear about the dryer fire - hopefully little or no damage done.

Sorry to hear about the dryer fiasco! The breast looks pretty good, I understand I might be getting a “Meater” for Christmas how do you like yours?

I understand I might be getting a “Meater” for Christmas how do you like yours?

I hesitate writing about any of my complaints because it could be due to not reading all of the directions. It seems to me that the setup and usage instructions is fragmented and I'm wired in a way that I like a pdf manual where I can highlight detail. In terms of its raw usage for monitoring the pit and food temps I like it quite well. A couple things I'm not pleased with (but let me reiterate that maybe I'm not using it properly):

1. Once I set a desired food target temp and it reaches that temp I cannot continue; it stops reporting the temp
2. 203 is the max target temp
3. I'm a heavy desktop user, so I prefer the ability to view my history from the web and to be able to jot notes from the cook log. I can view cook history from my phone app but I'm not aware that I can view all of my history from a desktop browser. I think I might be able to view each one separately if I have the original cook link, though

#1 & #2 dislikes probably don't make sense but it's not uncommon for me to place a probe in my meat and later on discover it's not reading the precise accurate temp compared to probing with the Thermopen, or it could be accurate for that spot but later I learn that other areas of the meat are at a little lower temp. In other words, maybe I have the Meater probe in an area of the breast where it's accurately reporting 150* but after probing several other spots with the Thermopen the lowest temp is 145*. Historically, I would just keep the probe where it is and pull it when it reports 170*. So as a workaround right now, if 165 is my target I will set 170 (or maybe even 175) as the target.

It is nicer than I imagined not having wire probes!

Last edited:
That is some seriously good looking turkey. Enjoy.

Sorry to hear about the dryer fire - hopefully little or no damage done.

Thank you! We are grateful that it quickly extinguished itself and aside from a little soot there was no other damage. But the 16 year-old dryer was beyond repair, lol. It looks like the motor relay in the control panel caught fire, and it extended to some other components and burned a hole in the panel and melted part of the wire harness.

Sounds like with the bad luck of your dryer fire you were very lucky it wasn't worse. Our neighbor two doors down had a dryer fire that got into the wall behind it and up into the attic. It took the fire department almost 20 minutes to contain it. Glad to here yours didn't get that bad, but still a scary situation.
That bird looks awesome, great cook. I'd gobble till I wobbled with that one.

Those old whirlpool dryers are pretty easy to fix and work on. They can accumulate lint over time. I fixed my MIL's and I'm shocked that her dryer never caught fire. There was an insane amount of lint in it. All it takes is that lint to get into the heating element. In your case it's more electrical. I replaced the timer on mine. I guess over 16 years they can start arcing out. Mine just stopped heating before that happened.

Those old whirlpool dryers are pretty easy to fix and work on.

Yep; over the 16 year life I replaced a few heater elements, Thermistors, thermal fuses, and a few years ago even replaced this particular relay that failed. But this time there was damage to components that are discontinued. On average, I clean the entire duct trunk annually (this one has a run of approximately 20').

That's a fine looking bird. I really do like rotisserie turkey breasts. Nice smoke.

Sorry about the fire, hope it isn't to bad. That bird looks delicious.

Last edited:

Back