Spineless Turkey 2019

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I’ve been doing a spatchcock turkey for the last few years. Cooks quicker and tastes just as good!
This year, Pammi removed the spine and used it along with some chicken thighs to make a quick broth for her cornbread dressing.
We also let it air dry in the fridge overnight. It made an amazing difference, with extra crispy skin!
49138260612_ca75005f7f_b.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Phil Perrin, on Flickr[/IMG]
And here it is with seasoned and with some compound butter under the skin.
I didn’t realize that our fresh herbs had died out with the exception of rosemary, so I used a dried sage dressing mixture that we got from the Savory Spice Shop and used that along with the chopped rosemary. It turned out quite tasty!
49137568943_86553d85dc_b.jpg
And onto the kettle. I used some lump I got at a food service store, so I had to light some more after 30 minutes or so. I also added a small piece of cherry for flavor.
49138261287_a4c893a527_b.jpg
And here it is after an hour and a half. It was almost ready!
49138261162_5deab584da_b.jpg
In another 15 minutes, the breast was at 160* and the thigh was at 180*. Perfect!
And, a rare plated shot! Pammi used the drippings for gravy and it was extra yummy!
49137568398_d0c5c6533d_b.jpg
We gave mom most of the leftovers and took enough for 2 plates and are currently camping in Greensboro.
I’m shutting it down for the season tomorrow in the rain. :mad:
Oh well. It’s gotta be done!
Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Great looking meal Phil!! It always stinks when you winterize and put the cover on the camper! Where are you guys staying in Greensboro, and have you ever tried the campground at Dan Nicholas Park in Salisbury? Oh well, forecast says the rain should stop by noon, so hopefully you won’t have to winterize in the rain. Again Great looking plate, and fantastic turkey!
Tim

Very nice cook Phil, I'll have to try that spatchcock turkey looks like a great way to cook the bird.

You and Pammi did an awesome job on that dinner. I'd take a plate of that any time.

Great looking meal Phil!! It always stinks when you winterize and put the cover on the camper! Where are you guys staying in Greensboro, and have you ever tried the campground at Dan Nicholas Park in Salisbury? Oh well, forecast says the rain should stop by noon, so hopefully you won’t have to winterize in the rain. Again Great looking plate, and fantastic turkey!
Tim

Tim, we camped at the KOA up there. Too close to I-40, we found out.
And, Dan Nicholas Park doesn't have full hook ups, so we wouldn't stay more than a night or two in our little camper.
And, I got drenched today packing it up! I was wearing a Panthers shirt, but had to change because I got soaked!
Not that it helped!

Back