Need new Stoker Pit Controller Parts Source?

Jon Hensley

Unfortunately Rock's Barbecue has closed up shop, so I was curious if anyone has been able to find an alternative source for the Stoker II's temperature probe's or blower. I believe I could fix the blower if it needed repair on the blower end, but I have no idea how I would repair or replace a temperature probe. The system has been flawless for me since getting it to make the long cooks much easier with the WSM.

Hi Jon,

We're working on developing a method that can be used to DIY a replacement probe or blower for the Stoker II system. Google "Rocks BBQ, aka, Stoker Has Closed" on the Egg forum for more details. I'd post a link, but I'm new and I'm not sure if that would get me in trouble with moderators.

My goal is to develop a method that we can publish where you can make a DIY pigtail plug adapter with off the shelf parts (k-type thermocouples and fans). I realize the world has evolved greatly in the last 15 years around Stoker, and it'd be easy to just throw a few hundred bucks at something else. I'm hoping that I can use a "SeeedStudio Grove 1-Wire Thermocouple Amplifier (MAX31850K)" for the thermocouple. Not sure on the blower yet....

Stay tuned...

This is so weird. I came here today with this exact question. I'd love to find out how to do this. It would be great if we could make our own temp probes and fans. Please keep us updated.

Bill

Last edited:
I have been overseas for a few months and waiting until I got home to order parts....I am flying home tomorrow and just found out about this today.

I need a 1 1/4" pip adapter and the adapter for a fan

Any idea of you can make something else work, I have extra fans as I know i couldn't make a non stoker fan fit easily, I just need the adapters.

I have been overseas for a few months and waiting until I got home to order parts....I am flying home tomorrow and just found out about this today.

I need a 1 1/4" pip adapter and the adapter for a fan

Any idea of you can make something else work, I have extra fans as I know i couldn't make a non stoker fan fit easily, I just need the adapters.

Hi William,

I'm not sure what the components are that you need. I'd assume you're working on a Weber? The good news is that it may be possible to "roll your own" blower if your fan is +5 volts and if you're handy with a soldering iron. The owner mentioned his blowers are using the DS2513 chip. Adafruit makes a breakout board for that chip. https://www.adafruit.com/product/1551

This is for a gravity feed smoker, so I need the plate that screws to the fan and the adapter for the pipe thread only

I have 2 stokers, several fans and tons of probes etc, just need the 2 adapter pieces

BBQGuru has a 3/4" NPT adapter that I'm using on a GF smoker. All you'd need is a bushing to use it, but I have no idea if it'd mate with your fan assembly.

BBQGuru has a 3/4" NPT adapter that I'm using on a GF smoker. All you'd need is a bushing to use it, but I have no idea if it'd mate with your fan assembly.

Yeah, the stoker fans need a flat plate with the round adapter on it and it attaches with 4 bolts

At over $40, the thermocouple interface seems very expensive. It would be cheaper to throw out the Stoker and buy one of the newer systems. I did a google search and other things that look similar seem to be about $35 less.

Here's a link to random ebay ad: https://www.ebay.com/p/27016854874?...MIlKSjtfG85gIVhK_sCh1aggj4EAkYBiABEgLQxfD_BwE

Is that the same thing?

Bill

Bill - It is fairly expensive option for the DIY probe; $50 dollars was about the price Rock used to charge IIRC. And less functionality (no LED). I offer it as a way for those who refuse to give up on their Stoker :/

I really like the form factor of the board you found on eBay. Unfortunately, the chip needs to use a specific Dallas Semiconductor (now Maxim) chip. It's marked as DS2762. The one in Sweden was the only one I could find off the shelf with that chip. But if you find another breakout board with it on there, I'd be all over it.

I was able to stack two boards in one project box. It'd be easy to stack these boards three or four high in one project box and cut down on cables to and from your smokers.

Bill - It is fairly expensive option for the DIY probe; $50 dollars was about the price Rock used to charge IIRC. And less functionality (no LED). I offer it as a way for those who refuse to give up on their Stoker :/

I really like the form factor of the board you found on eBay. Unfortunately, the chip needs to use a specific Dallas Semiconductor (now Maxim) chip. It's marked as DS2762. The one in Sweden was the only one I could find off the shelf with that chip. But if you find another breakout board with it on there, I'd be all over it.

I was able to stack two boards in one project box. It'd be easy to stack these boards three or four high in one project box and cut down on cables to and from your smokers.

Thanks for the response. Right now I have two pit probes and three temp probes, so I'll keep on using what I've got. when the system begins to fail I may switch over to the Thermoworks Signals and Billows combination.

Bill

Thanks for the response. Right now I have two pit probes and three temp probes, so I'll keep on using what I've got. when the system begins to fail I may switch over to the Thermoworks Signals and Billows combination.

Bill

If you ever decide to sell your unit, I may be interested in purchasing it.

I'm working on a blower solution now. Right now, I think this is the ingredients we need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fan-Blower...rentrq:1eb7e49f16f0aa1385f7654cffadf150|iid:1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50x50x20mm...var=512919346423&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-1-wire-gpio-breakout-ds2413/overview

If you ever decide to sell your unit, I may be interested in purchasing it.

I'm working on a blower solution now. Right now, I think this is the ingredients we need.

My stoker is in great condition and has 2 pit probes, 3 meat probes and the fan kit for a WSM. How much would that be worth to you. I'm not eager to sell it, but I would consider a reasonable offer.

Bill

My stoker is in great condition and has 2 pit probes, 3 meat probes and the fan kit for a WSM. How much would that be worth to you. I'm not eager to sell it, but I would consider a reasonable offer.

Bill

I'm not eager to get a backup either :) I'm actually hoping to score a deal on one at some point. Any offer I made would probably be offensive, but if you had a number in mind. PM me.

In reality, these things will probably last forever given their construction. They're built like a tank and they do their job. What's not to love? Cloud graphs are neat..... but I don't need my ATC crossing over my firewall.

I'm not eager to get a backup either :) I'm actually hoping to score a deal on one at some point. Any offer I made would probably be offensive, but if you had a number in mind. PM me.

In reality, these things will probably last forever given their construction. They're built like a tank and they do their job. What's not to love? Cloud graphs are neat..... but I don't need my ATC crossing over my firewall.

No problem.

Bill

Back