Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I just want to bring a great recipe to the attention of you good folks. Recently, I did Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings. It was absolutely EXCELLENT! I can recommend this without reservation. Every recipe created by Coco Morante that I have tried has been "over the top". I have a couple of her books and can recommend them also. Here is the C&D recipe:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/instant_pot_chicken_and_dumplings/

Enjoy!
Dale53

We did this cook again this past week and, if anything, it was even better than the first time. I'm a bit disappointed that no one has commented on their experience with this cook.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Hey, Robert, thanks for posting again! I missed this one the first time.......I'll add it to my IP list of "to-do's". Only issue right now is it's been hard to find any chicken! ;)

R

I don't have an Instant Pot but my DD does. Made a copy for her. I love dumplings. Glad to learn about using cake flour. Will try that next time we have dumplings.

(Robert, know how you feel. lol)

No InstaPot for me but I regularly make chicken and risotto in my pressure cookers. I simply brown the chicken well in the pressure cooker, once browned I set it aside. I then do the "browning" of the Arborio rice in the drippings along with some onions. Once translucent I put in my hot stock (usually home made) (2 cups) to 1 cup Arborio. I put the chicken pieces back down on the bed of rice (I always use dark meat for this), close the lid, bring it to pressure. Cook 10 minutes under pressure. I get perfectly cooked risotto and perfectly cooked chicken at the same time

Thanks for posting this. Wife got one of these as a gift and she hasn't used it very much. I'll see if she wants to give this a try. Sounds good!

I have a plan to make C&D one of these days, though I may wait for cooler temps to return.

She has an interesting tip on the flour. Most recipes call for AP flour, but she uses cake flour.

The cake flour definitely wins as far as the texture is concerned. The dumplings turn out lighter and fluffier, whereas all-purpose flour can yield heavier, chewier dumplings. You can make this recipe with all-purpose flour, but for the best dumplings, use cake flour if you have it.

Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings​

PREP TIME 20 mins
COOK TIME 35 mins
TOTAL TIME 55 mins
SERVINGS 4 to 6 servings

Recipe Note: Do not double this recipe—too many dumplings will prevent enough steam to build up, so the pressure cooking/steaming will not work properly.

All-purpose flour can be substituted for cake flour, but your dumplings will be heavier and chewier.

Ingredients​

• For the dumpling batter:
    • 1 1/2 cups (240 g) cake flour (See Recipe Note)
    • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    • 3/4 cup whole milk
  • For the stew:
    • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    • 3 celery stalks, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
    • 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    • 2 cups chicken broth
    • 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    • 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
    • 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)

Method​

1. Make the dumpling batter:
    Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
    Add melted butter to the dry ingredients, using your fingers to distribute it throughout the flour until it has a crumbly texture.
    Add the milk. If you are using all-purpose flour, another tablespoon or two of milk may be required to make the dough sticky, rather than dry and shaggy. Gently mix with a wooden spoon, until the mixture just comes together. It should form a lumpy, thick batter. Do not over-mix, or your dumplings will turn out too dense. Set aside.

2. Sauté the vegetables and chicken in the pressure cooker:
    Heat the oil in the pressure cooker on its sauté setting for 1 minute. Add the onion, celery, carrots, salt, and pepper and sauté for 3 minutes, until the onions are beginning to soften around the edges.
    Add the chicken and thyme and sauté for 2 more minutes, until the pieces of chicken are mostly opaque on the outside (they don’t have to be cooked through). Stir in the chicken broth, using a spoon to thoroughly nudge any browned bits off of the bottom of the pot.

3. Add the dumplings and pressure cook:
    Using a small cookie scoop or two spoons, drop heaping tablespoon-sized dollops of the dumpling batter into the pot in a single layer. (The batter will have thickened while it sat, becoming more of a scoop-able dough.)

4. Pressure cook:
    Secure the lid in its sealed position. Cancel the sauté program, then select the pressure cooker’s manual program for 8 minutes at high pressure.
    (The pot will take about 10 minutes to come up to pressure before the cooking program begins.)
    When the cooking program ends, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then move the pressure release valve to its venting position to release any remaining steam.

5. Finish the dish:
    Open the pot and gently stir in the peas, parsley, and cream (if using), taking care not to break up the dumplings. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and/or pepper if needed. Ladle into bowls and serve right away.

Recipe in PDF if anyone needs it

Attachments

• Instant Pot Chicken & Dumplings.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 2

Back