Thanksgiving cook photos

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Lets see some photos of our Thanksgiving cooks on our gas grills tomorrow..... Turkey, Ham, Beef Roast, whatever.

I may be calling an audible on doing our buzzard on the Genesis I gave the kids. At 17+lbs it doesn't even look like it'll fit under the hood of the grill. I am considering doing it on my Wolf using conventional burners (not spinning it with infrared). Putting some cherry wood in there. I have it currently resting comfortably in it's bath out on the deck. Hopefully tomorrow AM the wind will be down a LOT and I can pull the Wolf out and stick it on with nice indirect heat. Then let it's rest period be the time it takes to get to kid's house and have a delightful beverage prior to supper

Sounds like a plan Larry. But, I would think I could skewer a 17lb'er and spin it on my Genesis 1000. I didn't even consider clearance before when choosing a turkey or ham for the roto.

I may be calling an audible on doing our buzzard on the Genesis I gave the kids. At 17+lbs it doesn't even look like it'll fit under the hood of the grill. I am considering doing it on my Wolf using conventional burners (not spinning it with infrared). Putting some cherry wood in there. I have it currently resting comfortably in it's bath out on the deck. Hopefully tomorrow AM the wind will be down a LOT and I can pull the Wolf out and stick it on with nice indirect heat. Then let it's rest period be the time it takes to get to kid's house and have a delightful beverage prior to supper

Just FYI I did a 19LB. on my gen2000 had to take the grates out and you could measure the clearance on the hood with a sheet of paper but it worked. What would your delightful beverage be.:)

For a turkey I always removed the grates. And the center 3 flavorizer bars. I also hung a pan between the rear and front flavorizer bar to catch the drippings. To “hang” the pan I used some steel cloth hangers which I bent accordingly. To grill I only used the front and rear burners. Unfortunately I no longer have a photo.
But this year my grills stay cold. My wife found a recipe she wants to try out and no grills involved. I did not get permission to adapt the recipe for a grill. lol

Well then, I guess I know what my turkey size limitations are now. I don't even think a 5 lb chicken could be put on a roto with the grates on, but I don't seem to remember the flavo bars to be an issue on my Genesis 1000 if I remove the top set. Stefan, I am guessing you are using a Silver B for it to be an issue with your turkeys.

Also, I am sure you won't have a problem adapting your wife's recipe to the grill. Maybe do another turkey with that same recipe on your grill for Christmas and then decide which is better.

My delightful beverages are typically a very dry Vodka Martini or a nice scotch (sometimes rocks sometimes neat) depends on what my favorite son in law will provide :D
I am concerned about more than just the fit. I am going to need about 6 hours between cooking and resting time for the buzzard. The kids are about 45 minutes away. So I figured stick the bird on the Wolf between 0930 and 1000. Cook to 150 to 160. Put him in a covered roaster to rest while driving.
I have already prepped him for carving by removing the wish bone (in case anyone didn't know this it's a great advantage when slicing off breast meat).
He's in a brine of my own concoction. About a gallon of organic bone broth (not the low salt kind) to that a cup of kosher salt, and 1/2 cup brown sugar. I then put all that in a stock pot along with parsley stems, some garlic cloves, carrots, celery, salvia (sage to you white folk :D) and black pepper corns. Cooked that all for a while. Cooled outside. Added a bunch of ice and another gallon of water into a food safe bucket and put him in there.
I will be making giblet and mushroom gravy this eve as well. I also have to make my famous salmon dip tonight as well. Wife will be baking her famous apple pies also.

Well then, I guess I know what my turkey size limitations are now. I don't even think a 5 lb chicken could be put on a roto with the grates on, but I don't seem to remember the flavo bars to be an issue on my Genesis 1000 if I remove the top set. Stefan, I am guessing you are using a Silver B for it to be an issue with your turkeys.

Yes it is a Silver B. The 3000 is not refurbished yet.
And this year no turkey at all. We are going with a ham, we wanted to try something different. There are a few more days this weekend where I can fire up one of the grills.

Stefan, we always do a ham at Christmas as well.

Larry, I will have to examine your advice on removing the wish bone prior to cooking. I can see where it might help with carving.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and your families. Don't forget to snap a photo or two of the Turkey, goose, or whatever you have going on today.

My Turkey on the Rec Tec pellet grill. I used Jack Stack BBQ Meat & Poultry rub (Kansas City) augmented with a little bit of The Shack Cluckin Awesome Chicken & Poultry rub.

I used about a 50/50 mix of Lumberjack Pecan Blend and Lumberjack Cherry for the pellet wood.

I brined as best I could but didn't have what I needed for injection. Too bad, but it has been a hard time around my house.

A little overdone, I am afraid. We will see how it tastes pretty soon...

Ql804t7.jpg

Iu40JTx.jpg

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

POST MEAL FOLLOW UP:
We all enjoyed the Turkey (and everything else!). The probe thermometers showed that I was past the mark, but honestly the meat was very moist and tender. I would say pellet grills can do a great job on turkey.

Last edited:
Looks good Jon. Sorry to hear your having some hard times. I brined our bird also but really fighting the 35 - 45 mph wind with gust to about 60. The performer isn't liking it at all.

12# Butterball. I didn't brine or baste the turkey as they are pre-brined/basted. I just spread some olive Oil on it and sprinkled it with some paprika prior to cooking it.

15 mintues into cook:

yeFR7kt.jpg

1 hour into cook:

LOyHAci.jpg

1.5 hrs into cook:

Ukj9dVn.jpg

3 hrs 10 minutes done. 165 in breast and thight:

iVoixEz.jpg

Now it is resting for a bit longer, then time to carve and eat.

Bruce,

As always your bird spinning looks awesome! I am glad I had my own or I would be having to fight being jealous:coolkettle:!

For my birthday last October my (probably future) brother-in-law and my sister got me the Dragon spinning grate and ceramic/stone heat deflector. I was informed that after Thanksgiving they would be long to me.

For Thanksgiving they bought some kind of fresh never Frozen turkey and had the butcher spatchcock for BBQ. They did all the prep, brining and seasoning and I brought one of my kettles to the house where the house where Thanksgiving was going to be held.

For himself he bought the dragon chimney and fan.

I'll give my review of the dragon products at some point when I have time. Here's the bird we did on the kettle,

And some veggies we decided to add a little smoke flavor to since we still had hot coals after the bird was done

Man, that stuff looks great, except that they are all out of focus. I think it is probably a Photobucket thing.

Back