Getting a jump start on Thanksgiving

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Getting a jumpstart on Thanksgiving, doing tomorrow’s turkey today as we’ll be taking it to mom & dad’s house. Salted for 24 hours and now smoking with apple and cherry at 325-350F, probably 2.5 to 3 hours. Looking for 160-165F in breast, 170-175F in thigh. For details, see https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/whole-turkey-salted/

fxPww5S.jpg

Great color !

I see you used two medium chunks of cherry. I think too much wood in the smoke turns turkey a lot darker.

Last edited:
Good luck! What did you use to pin the skin?

Three toothpicks, just around the cavity opening. You'll notice in the finished photo that I had a tear that I pinned, but it broke loose and opened up. No biggie, this turkey will get carved before anyone (besides you folks) get a chance to see it.

Beautiful bird Chris and Happy Thanksgiving. Barb and I hope you have a wonderful day with your family.

Wow that really looks perfect! How you going to keep it until time to eat? And willpower not to start cutting it up right now. Yummm.

Did you season, Chris? Or rub the skin with Olive oil before cooking?

I was planning to spatchcock, but that bird looks near perfect.

I've done the wet brine for 4 or 5 years now and I'm thinking of doing a dry brine this year. I really like the dry brine process for beef -- steaks especially. Is there a downside to the dry brine?

Jeff

Back