Favorite Smoke Wood for Turkey

Cherry does wonders for turkey skin. I'm usually a one-wood guy, but today I'll be using a chunk of cherry and a chunk of apple, just to mix things up.

This is an opportune time for me to say I'm conflicted, lol. Over my 4 years of this hobby I've used cherry on the turkey but because of the number of guests my Mother-in-law also does a turkey and, of course, does it in the oven. Her skin is very blonde and when the two are side-by-side it feels to me like mine sticks out like a sore thumb. So I'm leaning towards pecan tomorrow. Or apple as Chris mentioned.

Crab Apple for me. Mostly since that is what I have available. Both Cherry and Apple are a milder smoke, so either are a good choice for poultry.

Not done turkey on the WSM in a very long time, but I know I liked apple or pecan back when I was doing whole turkeys or just breasts.

I'm gonna be the odd ball and say Hickory and Alder.
Cherry and Sugar Maple I love, but that combo on poultry we really like.

Tim

Since 2014 every year for Thanksgiving Barb and I make Weber's Brined and Barbecued Turkey with Pan Gravy from Jamie Purviance book Charcoal Grilling. We just love it.
The wood it calls for is Apple which adds a great smoky flavor seeing that the turkey is brined in apple juice and herb's.

Since 2014 every year for Thanksgiving Barb and I make Weber's Brined and Barbecued Turkey with Pan Gravy from Jamie Purviance book Charcoal Grilling. We just love it.
The wood it calls for is Apple which adds a great smoky flavor seeing that the turkey is brined in apple juice and herb's.

I think that used to be called " apple brined turkey with big time gravy" ?
If so, I loved that also.

Tim

Back