Less mess, easier way to clean Collards and other greens

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
How dumb. I have always soaked collards and other greens in plain water in the sink and then de-stemming and chopping for cooking.
No problem except the water that is everywhere after the water soak. I cook a huge batch so I end up with water all over the counter around the cutting board.
Then I go to transfer the chopped greens from the cutting board to the big stock pot. More water running everywhere...

STOP

Trim the greens BEFORE soaking. Cut each big leaf into 8-10-12 pieces. Then soak.
After rinse and soak place the chopped greens in a large sink strainer ( like the one for drip drying dishes or perhaps a large colander).
Hopefully there will be a lot less water mess with this approach.

After getting all the way through 2 large bunches of collards, I saw the benefits of pre-rinse chopping. Just drain em and straight into the pot.
I'll post my collard recipe in recipes. Hard to screw up greens but I'll show you one way to do it.
Fresh greens are good and good for you.

Last edited:
Have you seen these giant salad spinners? I saw them in some commercial kitchens & got a 2.5 gallon instead of the 5 gallon. They're nice because you can fill it with water & stir around with your hands, lift the strainer & pour out the greenish water, repeat, then spin dry. I've just used it on red leaf lettuce, spinach, kale, ....but I haven't cooked collard greens yet.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-2-5-gallon-salad-spinner-dryer/176DRYER25GL.html

1053630.jpg

Back