Thanksgiving weather

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
I'm watching the news and they are talking about severe weather across the country affecting travel. Hopefully all of you get where you are going without any problems.

So what is the Thanksgiving forecast for everyone.

In Northern CA we are supposed to expect wind rain and possible thunderstorms. But compared to other places it will be a worm 50,s outside. We have plans to do turkey on the kettle. Since we have a covered place to cook rain wouldn't be a problem. My concern is trying to maintain temps in the kettle if we get the wind predicted.

Around here, damp, cool (high 30's) a bit windy and possible drizzle. If that is as bad as it gets I will count us VERY lucky indeed seeing what is up north dere in my wife's home land of MN

High of 40 during the day and a low of 27 at night means I can brine my turkey breasts on the back deck tonight without taking up fridge space. Also, with 0% chance of rain, smoking the turkeys breasts on Thanksgiving will be an unusual (and pleasant!) event for me.

High's in the 40's, windy, up to an inch of rain and 1 to 2 ft. of snow on the mountains. Our son is working until 2pm so we have to transport the Thanksgiving feast thru a mountain pass to get it there. Alternative is a 2 lane road and a 2.5 hr detour to go around those mountains. Wife is planning accordingly. About 8 years ago our son had a similar work situation. We purchased a packaged deal of a smoked turkey & sides from a BBQ restaurant and supplemented with the wife's specialties. Wasn't cheap and it wasn't too good either. Fingers crossed for safe travels since there is road construction on the mountain pass to boot. Not worried about our driving, but there are a ton of people here who can't handle showers, let alone snow! Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to all.....

Our forecast up on this end is pretty much the same as yours Jason. They're also calling for a possible 1 to 2 inches of snow. I'll believe that when I see it.

PS.... A week ago today we were under a fire watch and also enduring power safety shut offs in some areas of the county.

Last edited:
Pretty nice on turkey day, sunny and high of 60*.
We're going camping after the large feast.
It's supposed to be mid-60's , with an 80% chance of rain on Sunday.
Perfect weather to close the camper up for the winter.

Low tonight just below freezing, with somewhere between 6" and 13" of snow tonight alone, another 1-2" tomorrow morning. Wednesday night, down to 13, Thursday with a high of 28 F and no precip forecast. More snow and mixed snow & rain predicted for Friday and the weekend.

I would much rather deal with a foot of snow at 20 F, than an inch of this crud at the freezing point. :(

High of 46 low of 31 rain and high winds all day and night turning to snow. Brining a bird and grilling/smoking on the performer which I moved to our covered patio. Friday will be snow all day....Can't wait:p

High of 46 low of 31 rain and high winds all day and night turning to snow. Brining a bird and grilling/smoking on the performer which I moved to our covered patio. Friday will be snow all day....Can't wait:p

Forecasting snow in Prescott, eh? I'm assuming you are in the higher country outside of town?

I'm pretty curious to see if we gate some flakes here in far north Scottsdale. Rain is pretty much certain - definitely moving the WSM to the covered patio.

Thanksgiving day in southwest Colorado: snow & more snow. Been dry here way too long. The wife is picking up a smoked turkey from Serious Texas BBQ today. Just have to warm it up tomorrow in the oven.
So, stay in & run Woodie the wood stove, watch Thursdays games. Eat turkey & all the goodies & watch the snow fall through the sliding glass doors. Have a nice Thanksgiving from our house to yours.
Be safe out there,

Forecasting snow in Prescott, eh? I'm assuming you are in the higher country outside of town?

I'm pretty curious to see if we gate some flakes here in far north Scottsdale. Rain is pretty much certain - definitely moving the WSM to the covered patio.

No, we are actually a couple of hundred feet lower than Prescott. Our first house in Prescott was 5700 feet we are about 5500. This storm will have a snow level of about 4000-4500 feet.
We get our fair share every Winter.

Last winter.

31605325587_27cbb346ca_z.jpg
[/url]100_4361 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cold, windy, rainy. Stinks, as I have a few grills to work on.
Will be painting the living room, dining room and entry way instead.
50's and sunny Saturday, so maybe some grill work then.

Pressure is dropping. Wind is picking up. The temp just went from 21°F to 39°F in less than 30 minutes.

I think the Low has arrived. Could get a bit sporty out there on the road to grandma's house.

Just checked the weather forecast for us. The deification just hit the fan, here we go. I will win !!! Maybe I'll be a human popsicle but Barb will warm me up.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Windy as all get out here today! Tomorrow it’s going to be upper 30’s and “damp” but, should not be anything too miserable!
Just realized I will be short on eggs so, I will have to stroll to the neighborhood grocery store and get those and some”extra” beer, the vodka jug is in the freezer, scotch in the cabinet, wine on hand, so, I’m ready to start the party, I just need to prep green beans and start adding heat at the appropriate times!
Yay!

Last edited:
Just stepped outside to bring in my buzzard and actually even in shorts and T-Shirt it was fairly pleasant. Wind has abated and temps are while not warm at least feel moderated thanks to wind being down

I pray anyone on the road has safe travels. I put the bird on at 0700 and even though there’s a nip in the air it’s calm and clear. Great smoking weather.

Back