Gas to Charcoal

Tim,
That’s a really nice little Smokey Joe. I have the same one on display in my home office (recently joined by the ivory one I bought in Germany). I paid $25 for mine also unused and in the box.

A vintage one unused is going to command more money than a lightly used newer model with a plastic handle. You can get those pretty cheap. (You can even swap in a nice wood handle;).) I have never cooked on a Joe, but I think it would be a fun thing at the park or on a campout to do a few burgers or hot dogs. Easy to move and clean since it is so small. I think it is why the really nice, but pricey CharQ didn’t succeed.

Thanks Jon, haha I guess I could have just posted the question in our Gas Grills section :)

I'm just curious if a 1989 new in box grill like this is worth 69 bucks, I'd hate to let a steal slip away!

Thanks Jon, haha I guess I could have just posted the question in our Gas Grills section :)

I'm just curious if a 1989 new in box grill like this is worth 69 bucks, I'd hate to let a steal slip away!

That’s easy. Go down to the Home Depot tomorrow and ask to see their lowest priced charcoal grill. I’m betting that Joe is cheaper, way better quality, and a nice conversation piece to boot.

How can you beat that?

I had a smoky Joe and it was a great little cooker for direct cooking. I sold it and got a Jumbo Joe which is an 18.5 tabletop which enabled me to do indirect cooking using much less charcoal than my performer. Actually I still have a Smokey Joe it's the top and bottom of my mini WSM which is very similar to a 14.5 Weber WSM.

That’s a good price for a collector piece, too rich for my blood for a working piece. I got a new (much more recent) Smokey Joe for something like forty bucks when the oldest hardware store in town was closing (157 years). If it’s a looker not a cooker, get it and be happy with the collection, if you want to use a small grill check Craigslist etc. Smokey Joe’s show up there a lot for 20-25 pretty often, bigger ones for under 100 all the time, I saw a mastertouch for $75 a few weeks back.
Just sayin’

The question is always: What is it worth to you? I also spent more on rare Weber models. But be careful: That is how the addiction starts. :coolkettle:

I would pass unless you just want to keep it in box (even then it is a little pricey for my tastes). If you are going to use it I would suggest putting as much money in a used 22.5" kettle and learn with that as there are plenty of videos, recipes, and "how to" instructions in various places on the web. Not that the smokey joes can't be a good travel kettle, but that one you are paying a premium for a vintage box that you will probably throw away. You can find current gen, brand new Smokey Joes on marketplace for $20ish. The only real difference between those and the ones pictures is they use flat bar legs rather than round bar and have a plastic lid handle.

I think I'm going to let it slip away. I just didn't know whether I had stumbled upon a seriously rare gem, but it looks like it's a nice, little, older Smokey Joe that I can pass on.

I have enough addictions already, and already have a 22.5 so I can cook with coal if I want to.

Thanks for the help all!

Tim

I have a couple 22'' kettles and a smoky joe, but always wanted a jumbo joe to take camping, I finally broke down and bought one and I really like the size and how will it packs up to for travel.

Back