Greetings from the High Country…

Frank in Colorado

TVWBB Super Fan
Greetings from the High Country (altitude, not substance.) I am frank, living at just about 10,000 feet elevation.

Recent new owner of a Genesis® II S-435 stainless LP grill with sear burner. It was a floor model from a popular home center that had that plastic film stuck (vulcanized) to the lid cover. The mark down along with military discount put it on my deck for about a third off MSRP. Some 4 hours later using a plastic putty knife and heat gun followed by acetone wipe got all that plastic off- It looks as if new!

As good as a deal I got, I think I over-bought. Nice grill, no doubt, but I think a 3-burner model would have suited me better… I think a wave of “Tim the Toolman Tayler” along with silent grunting came over me as I was negotiating. I might use all burners only a few times a year, other than that it is grilling for 2 most of the time.

I am getting used to what good (better) grilling means after finally tossing a 15 year old Colman two-burner. That old grill technically would cook food I guess, but it was only 2-speed: “off” or full-on high heat. Having a new grill now with manageable temperatures is so much of a nicer way to cook.

Even though ‘prolly too big for daily use, I like this new Weber and am looking forward to ideas, recipes, conversation with the folks here.

Thank Timothy...

...very sage response!

I agree size does matter but I find that I am using much more gas compared to what I was used to on the older, smaller one that I just tossed.
Also using a lot more now with winter upon me to get up to proper temperatures.

There will be times when I do appreciate the lager cooking area and I will recall your adage!

Hi Frank, WELCOME!!!!!!

I don't know a darn thing about grilling or grills, but once in a while I will post a recipe or two for these people that do know all that stuff. You will find they are very helpful and friendly and......you get the picture. lol Let me know if I can be of any help. Tons of recipes left to post, and I have most of Weber's cookbooks if you like their food. lol

Thanks Joan. I will peruse the recipes for when I want to be a little more creative. Most of my grilling has been basic dry seasonings regardless of the beast-carcass. There is the occasional BBQ sauce that I add to pig product (but need to get back to my homemade whiskey sauce sometime when time allows) other wise it is a decent store-bought splash.

This new grill will open up many opportunities for experimenting. Am thinking of getting a rotisserie. My brother has one for his grill and loves it for fowl.

It has been a while since making my own.

Not "truly" my own as I do start with a base of store bought sauce by others. The add-on usually include anything that is non-oil based but a decent amount of sweet and hot. Past concoctions have included honey, brown sugar, preserves and combinations of the many hot sauces I receive for Christmas (friends know that I like that spicy stuff.) I usually use a decent amount of bourbon or rye and cook-simmer it down so that the alcohol is given off to the angels in hopes that the flavour of the mash is left behind. It usually turns out such that there are rarely any complaints and have given it as gifts much to the delight of the recipients.

With my new grill it might inspire me to mix up a batch yet again. I will need to peruse the recipe section to learn if using a base BBQ sauce by other (but stepping it up with my own add mixtures) is righteous or not. Is it fair to call it my "own" if using a store bought version onto which I add stuff?

Regards as always,
Colorado Frank.

Back