Getting rid of parts

Dave, they have become harder and harder to sell. Right now I have a like brand new Q2200 which no one is interested in. not even low ball offers.
Lots of work for not much reward.
Plus I have some other more creative projects I want to work on.

Stefan, I have found that Q grills, even the Q3xxx versions are tough to move for a decent price. They just are not that expensive new.

Before you totally give it up, I would first try to pare down a bit and concentrate on the bread and butter grills. Those being the Silver/Gold B/C grills. They are the simplest and least expensive to rehab and parts are very available. If you have trouble moving them, then, yes, it might be best to back off the rehab/flip activities.

Stefan

Do u have a left hand thermoset table for a silver b and I'll take the left and right end pieces in the picture if still have them?

Bobby

Dave, they have become harder and harder to sell.

I know that feeling. I have only sold 2 this month, while buying 3 others.
I am not quite sure, but I would imagine its about the same where you are
as here. In November the whole market dies. No one is buying or selling much
of anything. The first two years of rehabbing, I would practically give away
stuff this time of year. The last two, I have learned to just be patient and ride
it out. Anything I see that I want to buy right now, is bought with the mindset of
sitting on it until Spring.

It is totally dead up here. In october I was seeing a lot of rehab candidates on CL and FB MP, but even those are non-existent now. People just don't grill in the snow and cold very much and if they do, they don't go out and buy a grill to do it.

But, I think Stefan has been experiencing a lul in interest for more than a couple months.

It is dead here too. I only sold my Summit because a coworker wanted it. But otherwise not much going on. There are not even any old grills out there to be found. Or they are really expensive.
But I also need to finish an antique furniture piece and not just work on dirty grills. Plus I want to spent more time with my other hobby: cycling.

Stefan

Do u have a left hand thermoset table for a silver b and I'll take the left and right end pieces in the picture if still have them?

Bobby

Yes Bobby I do have a left side swing up table for a silver B. And yes I still have the end pieces.

Same problem here nothing for sale except trashed out silver Bs or 1000s that they want ridiculous money for over $100.00 even those are few and far between. Even the Phoenix market has pretty well dried up.
Last rehab I did was a three burner older Spirt took me three months to sell, finally a neighbor that knew I did rehabs and asked if I had anything reasonable because his Chinese tin box self-destructed. I let him have it for what I had into it just to get rid of it.
Still have my 1985 genesis 2 chocolate to restore, but that will be it.
I still look every day but just out of curiosity.

This discussion kind of picks up where we left off a while back on this topic. I myself am in a bit of a philosophical time about it all. My wife has resented my grill hobby for a long time. I can’t say it is a side business because I spend more than I take in. She just sees hours of time spent on something that means nothing to her, and even if I made some $ she would still hate it.

For me, my first problem is that I am a hopeless collector. The guys who actually make this hobby/business work know that you have to stick to the classic “buy low, sell high” rule. Look for money making opportunities - not cool grills. I, though, get carried away with visions of doing way more than my full-time job life - plus side jobs as a tax preparer and consultant - will ever allow. Worse, I let my collector bug lead me down interesting, but usually not financially viable paths, accumulating ever more more project grills that sit unfinished.

Now that I have a place to work some evenings and not have to stress over keeping my Saturdays for grills, I hope to get more done with less unhappiness at home. Still, my short-term goal is just to get ‘em done and gone whatever it takes. After that, well...

Due to the need to care for a relative, we are considering a major move to Indiana. I have to agree with my wife that most of my grill horde can’t all come with me, so that may force the issue for me.

I guess I wish I could do things over. If I could, I would confine myself to only getting grills I could actually use for myself, thus being limited to maybe a half dozen or so. Then, if I fell in love with some new grill I saw, something on hand would have to go first. Beyond that, I would like to do one restoration/flip at a time with no particular hurry or pressure. Those would mostly be 1000 or other early Genesis grills and maybe an occasional Broilmaster. The purpose would be the same reason other guys golf or fish. Not to expect to make any money.

Even so, I think my market here would allow me to sell an occasional classic Genesis at a high enough price to cover costs and return a tiny profit. But I have realized it takes a lot of time and work to do even one grill right. I better stick to my paying side job and stop dreaming of making enough money doing grills to justify the time I spend. Thus, we are only talking about a couple restoration grills a year.

(As a side note, around me there still are a good number of interesting candidate grills being offered. Because of that, I am also going to work hard on putting on hold my constant trolling of CL, OfferUp, FB Marketplace, etc. The last thing I need right now is another grill to restore:eek:!)

I think guys like Bruce and Dave have the process down and can flip profitably. Sure there are peaks and valleys and cold winters don’t help, but overall you guys get it done. I doubt I ever can. This Florida winter hopefully will tell more. I am ok with being mainly a collector and grill fanatic, though. So, I plan to work hard at finishing and selling off what I have and then reigning in things to a low key level that is realistic for my current life situation. I want to enjoy grills (and grilling) and not be obsessed by them.

Last edited:
Jon, I also think the market for gas grills is changing, just a few years ago you didn't see the mass discounts on Weber's half way through the grilling season. With all the different Chinese tin can wonders that look great but don't last selling for a couple of hundred bucks it's hard to compete on a large scale like Weber does.
The people on this forum for the large part understand the difference in quality and long lifespan that a Weber has. The average consumer doesn't have that knowledge.
The average buyer of a grill I don't believe is looking for a life time commitment when buying a grill. It's just an appliance you throw out when it wears out and buy another one.
I think half of the grills I sold the buyers were buying it because someone in their family had one at some point and they wanted to relive those memories again.
Now it's a different generation with different priorities.

Yes, Rich, there is a lot of truth to that. A lot of people today see grills almost like toasters or microwaves. When they break you toss and replace. (I wonder when the last repair shop fixed a toaster:eek:?)

In my (current) market there a lot well-healed retirees who fit the profile of someone looking for something classic rather than just cheap box store junk. At least that is what I have been believing. I am eager to clear out some promised newer style grills taking up space and then settling down to concentrate on older ones. When I put them up for sale here, I will know better. Meanwhile, I just need to get things in a better perspective priority-wise.

The mess I have made of overbuying (and accepting freebies) - and the associated household tension- have started robbing the joy from all this for me. I still want to do an occasional old Genny, but like a piece of art rather than on a production line. I am going to work as hard as my other circumstances allow to get to that place and then enjoy:cool:!

I will post updates about how my classic Genesis grills fair in my market.

Last edited:

Back