Butcher paper ?

Do you use tape on butcher paper, or just wrap and use the weight of meat to hold it closed?

No need to use tape. Just wrap it tightly, crease the corners and then fold the corners under the bottom. Also place it fat side up when you put the wrapped brisket back on the grill.

No need to use tape. Just wrap it tightly, crease the corners and then fold the corners under the bottom. Also place it fat side up when you put the wrapped brisket back on the grill.

I agree 100% with Brian. I go fat up after the wrap because the fat can get stuck to the paper fat down. The best video I've seen on wrapping was in that Franklin Masterclass. Unfortunately, that's expensive. He stresses trying to get the paper as tight as possible. Here's a picture of one of mine that I'm pretty proud of after watching that class:

There a lot of paper under the brisket this method so it will protect the bottom. He uses two overlapping sheets of 18 inch paper. I've got 24 inch but I did the overlap as well just because he does it. The overlap is about the length of the brisket.

I agree 100% with Brian. I go fat up after the wrap because the fat can get stuck to the paper fat down. The best video I've seen on wrapping was in that Franklin Masterclass. Unfortunately, that's expensive. He stresses trying to get the paper as tight as possible. Here's a picture of one of mine that I'm pretty proud of after watching that class:

There a lot of paper under the brisket this method so it will protect the bottom. He uses two overlapping sheets of 18 inch paper. I've got 24 inch but I did the overlap as well just because he does it. The overlap is about the length of the brisket.

I'm also using 24 inch paper but only use one sheet. I just ordered a prime brisket last night from Snake Farms so will double wrap this one :)

SBpO3i6m.jpg

There's a great new BBQ place here in St. Louis (Beast Butcher & Block) that has brisket from SRF/RR Ranch. Both the Wagyu and the Double R prime. They're both really good but the SRF Wagyu is amazing, like nothing I've had before. Super moist, juicy and perfectly smoked. Worth the splurge for a special occasion if you've really got your brisket method figured out, and I'd absolutely recommend anyone who happens to be in StL check out Beast. Everything I've had there has been awesome. I go to the one in the Grove, but they also have their original location across the river in Belleville, IL.

Speaking of butcher paper, is it safe to use butcher paper to wrap a whole packer brisket on a 22" kettle? I'm concerned about how close the paper would be to the fire in this setup. Plus I usually cook up in the 275-325 range. Do I need to worry about this?

Back