Turkey Brine

Scottie B

I have smoked several turkeys before- I have used maple brines and basic salt brines, but cant seem to tell much difference between them (unless of course there is too much salt flavor). Does anyone notice a difference in flavor when you use different brine recipes, especially if you rub/butter the turkey?

What I have read and been told brine is used to open the pores in the meat to allow more smoke favor in the meat. I always skin the turkey for it is all fat or high in fat.Then brine the turkey for two days then rub on my rub, wrap in saran wrap for one more day then smoke the bird. Eating is the best turkey you can eat!!!

Over the years I’ve probably brined about every way a cook can. But, I seem to gravitate back to just buying a Butterball, thawing it slowly, then uncover it and sprinkle with salt (dry brine), and put it back in the fridge to dry the skin. @ 325*F on the WSM I get crispy skin and moist tender flesh.

You may notice some taste difference but it may be subtle. Nothing but the salt and water really penetrates the meat. Typically the brine gets rinsed off and with it most of the flavor. I'm sure some will remain but again, it's going to be subtle. A simple brine is fine.

Back