How cold is too cold for a gasser?

T Lucas

OK, what's the lowest outside temperature you all have grilled with a gasser? I love to grill, but when it's cold outside I tend to opt for the crock pot or oven. Let's hear from those hardy northern tier folks!

Well we don't live in the northern tier, but we do live in the northern tier of Arizona in the mountains. My E320 NG gasser and my LP Genesis 2000 both work fine as low as 0* with 20 mph winds. Me I don't work that well in those temperatures, so it doesn't happen very often.

This my favorite winter Weber.

45635523302_ee9dd83c90_z.jpg
[/url]100_4156 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

I don't know if there is a lower limit for the actual grill but there is for me :D I have been out there in sub zero weather as long as there is sunshine, no precipitation and little to no wind. I can tolerate that just fine. And no ice on my deck. I cannot tolerate ice

I hear you Larry, now that I'm in my70s snow or ice on the ground I'm not going out. Don't need a trip to the ER.

For LP/propane, there is a lower limit: the liquid has to be able to evaporate with sufficient gas pressure to fire the burner. That's still well below 0 F, though.

Can't give a temp as I don't keep track. I grill all year here in western MA, don't recall being out in the real bone chillers so just as a guess I'd say 20's with a light or so wind, I skip it if it's too windy. Gets tough to tell when things are done right, end up over cooking a lot when it's cold. The top of the meat cools off making a thermometer reading unreliable.

When the temps here in northern Wisconsin are well below zero I often enjoy filling the neighborhood with smells from the (natural gas) grill. I also giggle at the looks I've gotten over the fence from people living around me.
Short version - it's never too cold ;)

I’ve gone single digits. And I ALWAYS grill when it snows. My boys know to shovel a path to the grill, otherwise no steaks !!

Yes, please, you warm weather type, you. :D

he says to a woman sitting at her computer wrapped in a blanket. lol True, I do like it a little on the warm side. DH likes it really cold. Do you see the problem here? lol

he says to a woman sitting at her computer wrapped in a blanket. lol True, I do like it a little on the warm side. DH likes it really cold. Do you see the problem here? lol

<chuckle> A few weeks ago, my g/f & I spent a week on Houston's southern edge (BTW, I *HIGHLY* recommend the Level 9 Space Center tour....) The brand ambassador for Saint Arnold's Brewing said "Houston has a problem brewing beer. We have 2 seasons, hot and slightly less hot." I replied "Minnesota has 2 seasons as well. Winter and 2 weeks of bad ice fishing."

I'll grill & smoke year around. Last January, I was smoking at -6 F.

:cool:
<chuckle> A few weeks ago, my g/f & I spent a week on Houston's southern edge (BTW, I *HIGHLY* recommend the Level 9 Space Center tour....) The brand ambassador for Saint Arnold's Brewing said "Houston has a problem brewing beer. We have 2 seasons, hot and slightly less hot." I replied "Minnesota has 2 seasons as well. Winter and 2 weeks of bad ice fishing."

I'll grill & smoke year around. Last January, I was smoking at -6 F.
:cool:

I have to grill steaks on New Years, so either gas or charcoal.
Last year was minus -1 with a wind chill of -20

Tim

I believe the quote was from Sir Edmund Hillary...
“Because it’s there”!
I did a pork roast for a guest in the middle of the Polar Vortex! Wind chill was -35. But, I’m a little weird!

HA HA Was there room for both of you on the grill? (the pork and you)

Back