Cold weather, new fan/temperature probe setup = disaster brisket

I'm scratching my head after a frustrating smoke this past weekend, and hoping some of you can show me the way back home. Here are the particulars: 22" Weber Smokey Mountain; 13lb trimmed Creekstone Farms (Choice grade) full brisket rubbed with kosher salt and black pepper; inaugural run with Thermoworks Signals probe & Billows fan system; overnight temperatures in the 30s. As have others here on the forum, I ended up with a dried out flat after 18 hours in the smoker, with the internal temp pretty much stalled in the 180s for the last 2-3 hours. I set up the Thermoworks kit, filled the water pan with warm water, and loaded my Weber as per normal (packed pretty well with Kingsford) and started coals using Minion Method. It was cold, but not frigid... somewhere in the low 30s for most of the night. I had the fan program set to 225, and it came up to that pretty quick. I threw in a few fist-sized chunks for wood and put the brisket on around 12:30am. I stayed up for an hour monitoring, and the system seemed to be doing great, very stable at 225, give or take a digit or two. When I woke at 7:30-8:00, the Pit temp had dropped to 190, presumably because nearly all the fuel had consumed (the 22" Weber really does use up some charcoal!!!). The probe for the brisket read 150 or so. In checking the graphs, it appears the Pit temp had dropped below 200 only an hour or so before I got up. I quickly brought the temp back up to 225 with a fresh chimney full of lit coal, plus a few extra handfuls delivered through the side door. I double-checked the Pit temp with an accurate oven thermometer and the brisket with a Thermopen. Outside temps in the morning through the afternoon were in the 40s, and it was pretty breezy -- but keep in mind, with the Billows setup, all bottom vents are closed off and the top vent is open just 1/8. The Pit temp stayed around 225 most of the morning and early afternoon. I added more water to the pan, and a few more fistfuls of coals. When the brisket hit 170 in early afternoon and kinda stalled, I wrapped it in pink butcher paper and boosted the fan to 235. The brisket temp then crept up to 180 throughout the afternoon. By 6:30pm I couldn't wait any longer and had to take the brisket out to serve a bunch of hungry people, with internal temp on the beef around 182-183, well short of my 203 target. The point was fine (as almost always is the case), but the flat was dry and tough. It was very disappointing. While I can't eliminate anything in searching for the cause, I'm pretty sure the new Thermoworks kit performed as advertised in keeping the Pit around 225; I was impressed with that aspect. Thoughts? All wit and wisdom appreciated.

The Thermoworks, I'm sure did fine. Water in the pan is going to cause you to use more charcoal and the low outside temp is going to make you use more charcoal. I basically put a full 18.6 or 20 lb bag in the there for a brisket cook. You'll have it mounded up some over the ring. As far as it being dry, it probably because the brisket was undercooked. I know that seems counterintuitive, but especially with a flat that has little fat in it, you need that connective tissue to break down to provide moisture to the brisket. I personally don't like to run at 225 that much anymore. I'll do it sometimes if I'm trying to time a brisket for a certain finishing time (on an overnight cook) I don't like the brisket languishing in the stall as long as 225 can sometimes cause. I've had 5 or 6 hour stalls at times. Having watched some of Franklin's videos, he says the stall is a good time to actually up the temp. This is because during the stall you have moisture on the surface protecting the meat. He advocates something like 275 depending on the pit. If that's too high for you try splitting the difference and cooking at 250. It's still low and slow but will push through that stall a little faster.

Cook 250-275
Speeds it up a lot

Wrap 170 ish, take to 205
When its done it shakes like jello, soft, springy
Thermo goes in like butter

And buy prime brisket. More marble in the flat.

Last edited:
I have a hard time getting decent temp readings when it's cold out. Could the flat have been done long ago making it over cooked?

Christopher...

I totally agree with Dustin. Dustin's assessment of your brisket being undercooked is correct, backed up by your statement "but the flat was dry and tough". If a brisket is overcooked, it becomes dry and crumbly.

Next time, I would just foil the pan and leave it dry.... No water. And as Dustin suggested, cook at a higher temperature. Personally, my minimum cooking temperature is 275. And cook past "Doneness" to "Tenderness" !!!

Wishing you more Enjoyable cooks in your future.

Agree with Bob and Dustin, I no longer cook under 250 and usually 275 is my minimum. Also my water pan has never seen water, just foil.
I do watch temps but rely on the probe test to make sure the brisket is done.

Last edited:
Great thanks everyone. Sounds like I was flying too close to the ground. I’ll up the temp and skip the water in the pan next time and circle back with my results. Again, much thanks for such quick, expert advice. One other question, though: if you have the choice, do you place the brisket on the lower or upper grate?

I just smoked 4 butts totaling 42+ lbs of meat. I did not nor do I ever put water in the pan. Started with 20 lbs of KBB.
When all was said and done I ended up using 25 olbs of KBB and the total smoke time was 21 hours. The outside temp never got above 42 degrees and went as low as 35 degrees.
This is the longest cook I've done but considering the outside temps and breeze, I'd say the WSM 22 did a pretty good job

Back