New player in the grate market? 304SS-3/8"- US Made

Yah, 3/8" would be 9.5mm. I think I paid about $120 for my RCP grates including shipping. If you purchase a set. please post up a review once you receive them.

I just checked an my RPC grates have 15 bars per half. The picture in the Ebay add shows 13 per half. However, I think RCP grates are only 9mm, so the extra .5mm per bar might make the gap about the same.

Last edited:
They look really nice, but not really a super bargain as compared to rcplanebuyer/Dave Santana. Dave has a sterling reputation, so I would choose his if I were shopping in this higher price range. I would still be very interested in firsthand feedback if anyone else here does buy a set of these. My budget for grate trying is long past expended.

Yah, those grates look pretty good and a little cheaper than RC's plus the free shipping makes it a little better value than RC's IMO. RC has the rep though as Jon said but so far the feedback for those new grates are all positive.

They look "decent" but pretty widely spaced. For the record Dave uses 3/8" rods. I measured mine.

Good point Larry. I thought the RCP grates were 9mm, but they are in fact 3/8" or 9.5mm. With two extra bars per half, then clearly they are a superior grate. I am not sure what a set from him costs now, but I think I paid about $120 three years ago. If they haven't gone up, then $12 is not enough to make me want to consider the Ebay grates.

kGBvLUh.jpg

yw8I44I.jpg

I think theses grates confirm that Dave prices his excellent product fairly. It is not at all likely that you will find a Made in USA, 304 stainless, thick rod, tightly spaced set of grates with a price tag - with delivery - for less than a hundred bucks. At the time I did my stainless rod throw down review, there were some decent options for less money. All of them are compromises, sacrificing one or more of the above aspects to bring down the price.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?78876-Stainless-Steel-Grate-Throwdown-Challenge-Results

If you are set on 304 stainless and can live with rods not as thick and spacing a little wider, then think Hongso (or Qulimetal if your firebox is not warped outward). Depending on what Amazon’s computer algorithm is up to that day, you are probably looking at $50 - $60.

Midwest Hearth’s entry has spacing even a hair TIGHTER than rcplanebuyer. Not as thick rods as Dave’s but decent. However, they are NOT 304 stainless but presumably 430. Last I saw $59. FWIW, I have used other 430 grates for years without issue.

The above alternatives, I think, would be more than adequate for most people. But if you have your heart set on the best and have the $, then I agree with others here that I wouldn’t switch to this eBay offering to save just a few dollars when Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer has a long proven record of highest quality and a real interest in helping grill fanatics like most of us here are.

Last edited:
Rcplanebuyer grates on the genesis 1000 style/size are $146 when you count shipping. Thsts off ebay. I think that's what I paid for mine several years ago. Wonderful grates but considerably more.

I still think the Bbqparts grates are the best value. About $105 including shipping. Not as thick (grate rods) but plenty thick enough with good tight spacing too. In almost 4 years of use i see no functional advantage for the rcplanebuyer vs Bbqparts grates.

Greg,
I bought my rcplanebuyer set direct from him so I saved a bit, paying $132 delivered. Even so, I suppose $25 or more is more than just a little price difference.

I do agree with you about the quality of the bbqparts.com grates which I gave very favorable reviews. They are priced about identically to these newcomer grates. I would personally definitely choose the bbqparts.com grates being that they are for sure 304, Made in USA and from a company many of us have had repeat excellent experiences with. They are straight up bbq people with fair prices and sometimes even killer deals.

Still, I would enjoy hearing a first hand account of these eBay grates. I don’t have any more money to spend on being a guinea pig, at least until my production and sales start catching up with my wild imagination:eek:!

Great point about spacing. I did not count. I will probably go with the rcp parts. Thank you all for the thoughts!

Yah, bottom line is RCP grates are still king of the mountain, but maybe not the best solution for everyone.

Greg,
I bought my rcplanebuyer set direct from him so I saved a bit, paying $132 delivered. Even so, I suppose $25 or more is more than just a little price difference.

I do agree with you about the quality of the bbqparts.com grates which I gave very favorable reviews. They are priced about identically to these newcomer grates. I would personally definitely choose the bbqparts.com grates being that they are for sure 304, Made in USA and from a company many of us have had repeat excellent experiences with. They are straight up bbq people with fair prices and sometimes even killer deals.

Still, I would enjoy hearing a first hand account of these eBay grates. I don’t have any more money to spend on being a guinea pig, at least until my production and sales start catching up with my wild imagination:eek:!

I agree. I would like to know more about these grates. I don't need them but I'm curious. It would be nice if there was another super high quality option.

There is never any thing wrong with exploring other options, even if you feel like you have already found the holy grail.

I'm such a huge fan of the Vernier Caliper precision displayed here.

Thank you kindly, the attention to precision is much appreciated.

Now I will continue to listen to a bunch of gobbledygook which could very well shape the future of our great Nation.

God help us all. One way or the other. This is a neutral statement. Chris, I'm not trying to violate the rules, but I would understand if you thought I did. I'm just saying, zeroing in on Weber grill grate separation by Vernier Caliper measurement is a most welcome distraction.

Slainte!

Tim

Yes, I like this site because, unlike FaceBook (which I don't do), it stays on target, almost always in a family friendly, "lets help each other" kind of way. I know here we can have a good time talking about grills instead of having our personal lives grilled!

Yes, I like this site because, unlike FaceBook (which I don't do), it stays on target, almost always in a family friendly, "lets help each other" kind of way. I know here we can have a good time talking about grills instead of having our personal lives grilled!

Exactly. It's just refreshing. I'm not on Facebook either. This is about as "social media" as I get.

I need Vernier Calipers!

Exactly. It's just refreshing. I'm not on Facebook either. This is about as "social media" as I get.

I need Vernier Calipers!

I have no practical use for a set but, there are times!
The big problem is I see something and all of a sudden “NEED” it!
Fun folks here!
Having met a few members face to face, there is a continuity in the pleasant visages when I’ve met or spoken on the phone with the family of Weber aficionados! The nurturing found here is priceless! Thanks Chris!

Watch HF sales. Decent ones and pretty inexpensive. I am going to be getting some myself

This is good advice. I wouldn't want to make a living with HF stuff (Starrett or Mitutoyo, anyone?) but for my purposes, they're more than sufficient.

Watch HF sales. Decent ones and pretty inexpensive. I am going to be getting some myself

The ones I used in the photo are indeed HF calipers. I have used them probably 2-3 dozen times in the couple years I have owned them. I just used them last week to measure the size of a propane connection that had the rubber O-ring go bad. I needed to know the size of the part to order a new one. I don't know what they cost now, but I think the one I bought was around $10. It has already paid for itself with ease.

If I was a machinist or scientist, I would probably opt for something a little higher quality, but for the garage, it is perfect.

Back