A visit to "Brandster" home of several high-end all stainless grills

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have been looking for options for carts for my Broilmaster projects. One advertiser on eBay turned out to be right next door to me in Stuart, Florida. I decided to drop in person to see what I could find. The sales guy who finally appeared agreed to email me prices on Broilmaster parts, but while I was there I checked out several interesting all stainless, high-end grills:

Here's one called Twin Eagles:

aCkyjpW.jpg

CZw5RG6.jpg

Interesting item on this one is the very thick grate "rods" that are shaped like hexagons:

Vm7SuY6.jpg

The theory is that they hold more heat since they have more mass than a similar round rod. More important to me was that this design provides a flat surface for the food to touch. It seems like it would give sear mark results with sharp defined edges more along the lines of what I like about GrillGrates.

They also had a TEC infrared grill, basically like the one I restored but twice the size:

Vf591bk.jpg

One thing that got settled by my visit is that I confirmed that the "v" shaped grates are, in fact, supposed to be placed with the pointed side up. This is based not only on their display but the new catalog they had there.

These TEC grills use infrared burners, but unlike how they are used in some other grills, there is a sheet of high temperature glass similar to a smooth top electric range, that completely protects the burner(s) from drippings. What drips down is vaporized when it hits the super hot glass. I used the TEC I picked up for just $100 for a number of cooks. I can attest that the system works as described. I just was never really convinced that it was all that impressive. My old Genesis Silver with GrillGrates and a smoker box underneath them gave me what I considered to be better results.

Another grill they had was a sparkling new DCS. I see a lot of old ones of this brand being dumped for low prices. The salesman praised their design but readily admitted that after five years or so, a lot of the internals will all have to be replaced:

Rkv8BeI.jpg

These grills uses long ceramic tubes as radiant heat distributors. These newer ones have interesting grates. They appear to be one piece molded stainless steel. I used the description "cast stainless" but the salesman claimed that would mean that they were stainless plated and that these were, in fact, solid 304 stainless steel. To me, it meant they were cast in a mold as one piece, similar to what I would think is done to make molded "cast" iron grates. Maybe someone here can help bring clarity to that. If you look at the second picture from the catalog it clearly says "cast stainless steel."

If you read the copy and look carefully you will also see that the "W" channels are meant to channel grease to the front of the grill where there is a drain area that is NOT above the burners. This is supposed to greatly reduce flare-ups. Seemed like a good idea to me.

8aNGBYv.jpg

w8REb8V.jpg

These were all very nice, very expensive grills. I am sure some if not all of them grill wonderfully, at least when everything is clean and working. To be honest, they just don't resonate with me that much. I love the warmth of a classic Weber with stained wood slats, or at least a grill with some color and not just all monotonous stainless. I also like a simpler, easy to cost-effectively maintain grill. That's probably why a bunch of us here still like our classic old Weber's:coolkettle:

efBigcb.jpg

Not mine, but a very pretty redhead.

If you want something more modern, at least make it with some color and charm:

PvRbrLx.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice review Jon. I agree, cast SS would be the same as cast iron where it was melted and poured into a mold. The texture certainly looks like what you would expect on cast metal. I wonder what a replacement set of those would cost? Good thing they are stainless.

I just wish that the Q grills had cast stainless grates! They would be almost bulletproof then.

I just wish that the Q grills had cast stainless grates! They would be almost bulletproof then.

I agree. I had a Q for a while. Used it for travel/camping. I liked the grill but just couldn't like the ceramic coated cast iron grates. The stainless grates have me spoiled vs all other types.

If you checkout the Q section there is a discussion and links for a 304 stainless rod grate bar made by Stanbroil available for the 100/1000 and 200/2000 series Q’s. Theses are not those flat, thin sheets that look more like a griddle. They appear to be legitimate stainless rods with a welded in flat piece underneath to prevent grease from falling on the burner. Rods could be thicker and maybe closer together, but still not bad. And priced below $50 for either size!

Yah, I would consider those newer SS grates as well. The only thing I really don't like is the narrow crevices between the rods and the plates that guard the burners from grease. The gunk will be tough to get out of those. Pretty much forces you to use a wire brush. But, then again, they are SS and some left over gunk on the grates isn't such a big deal. I also wonder what size of rods they used? Would they really be any stronger than the flat plate SS ones?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07T52ZVW6/tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07GJD5XY4/tvwb-20

I posted a question to Amazon listing for the Stanbroil grates asking the size of the SS rods used. If I get a response, I will post to the forum.

Last edited:
If you checkout the Q section there is a discussion and links for a 304 stainless rod grate bar made by Stanbroil available for the 100/1000 and 200/2000 series Q’s. Theses are not those flat, thin sheets that look more like a griddle. They appear to be legitimate stainless rods with a welded in flat piece underneath to prevent grease from falling on the burner. Rods could be thicker and maybe closer together, but still not bad. And priced below $50 for either size!

Interesting. A few years ago I asked rcplanebuyer if he would it could make stainless grates gives Q. He politely said no.

Greg: The Genesis grates are so much easier to create. Just cut the rods to length and weld them together. I am sure he uses some kind of jig for placing and spacing the rods before welding. So it is a quick and simple process. The Q grates require a lot of bending and forming and different pieces of SS stock. He can probably fab up 3 sets of Genesis grates to what it would take one set for a Q grill.

Yep, and for that reason I think the new Stanbroil ones deserve at least some credit even if the rods are a little thin and not as tightly spaced as some would prefer. At least they give a true stainless rod grate choice and have made provision to protect the burner. That is another important extra that Dave probably didn’t want to mess with.

I think 6mm or close to it would be plenty strong enough for a Q100 and Q200. Kinda wondering about the Q300 though.

I don't think they have a grate for that one, at least yet. I hadn't noticed the 200/2000 one until after I posted. Sam Bee also pointed them out to me. Let's hope they have success with these smaller ones and decide to go all out and make a 300/3200 grate - hopefully with somewhat thicker rods. THAT would REALLY be a big answer!

Cool! I am going to look hard at that for the 2nd Q300 I am doing for our church property out in nowhere’s land. A lot less maintenance and likelihood of rust than even a brand new set of cast iron grates.

Yah, I was even thinking about keeping a Q300 around for when I needed more cooking space. If it had SS grates, I would probably just leave it outside and not worry about covering it or anything. There wouldn't be much to go bad on one with SS grates.

Back