Rub & Sauce for St. Louis Spareribs from Weber's Ultimate Grilling

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
We will be using 2 recipes from the new Weber cookbook that I won here. (brag, brag, and it's autographed. lol)

Pork Rib Rub

1 TB. kosher salt
1 TB. smoked paprika
1 TB. granulated onion
1 TB. prepared chili powder
2 tsp . ground cumin
1 tsp . celery seed
1 tsp. ground black pepper

In a small bowl, stir together all the rub ingredients. Use for baby back ribs or spareribs. Makes about 1/3 cup

Carolina Vinegar Sauce

3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
4 tsp. packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1 1/2 tsp. hot sauce, such as Tabasco
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. kosher salt

In a medium bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients until the sugar and salt dissolve. Use for pulled pork. Makes about 1 cup

Source: "Weber's Ultimate Grilling" Jamie Purviance pub.2019

Note: DH used the rub and sauce on our St. Louis Spareribs, that is not what the recipes say in the book. (in case you go looking for the recipes in the book)

Last edited:
Mmmmmmm, DH just let me smell the ribs. He put the rub on them and then in the refrigerator for a while. They smelled soooo good.

Going to try that Vinegar sauce, sounds close to what I use now except no hot sauce.

Good going Bob. I like the idea of it having so much Cider Vinegar in it, with the vinegar being so good for us, healthwise and taste.

DH and I loved the ribs. The rub on them was very tasty and the sauce really made the dinner. It was so good and tangy.

Carolina Vinegar Sauce

3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. kosher salt

In a medium bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients until the sugar and salt dissolve. Use for pulled pork. Makes about 1 cup

There was quite a bit of this sauce left from last night's dinner. So I added some EVOO to it and it made a delicious salad dressing for tonight's dinner.

There was quite a bit of this sauce left from last night's dinner. So I added some EVOO to it and it made a delicious salad dressing for tonight's dinner.

I made a batch of this & thought the same thing. I thought I might add just a little guar gum to thicken it, but ruined a batch of dressing last week so maybe not.

I was out of brown sugar so I used white with ~1 tsp molasses, I used some really good HOT red pepper flakes. I thought about using chipotle tabasco, but figured if tabasco was suggested I'd try it.

I forgot to add sugar & tried it after a couple minutes, thought it was good and then I remembered I didn't add sugar so added it....definitely changed the flavor but both were good.

Hi Clint, I have never used guar gum. Can you find it in the grocery store? Thanks for trying the recipe. I gather you used it as a salad dressing?

Hi Clint, I have never used guar gum. Can you find it in the grocery store? Thanks for trying the recipe. I gather you used it as a salad dressing?

I got my guar gum @ Amazon about a year ago: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B079NS4Y9R/tvwb-20

I've only tried a few samples of this sauce by itself (when first shaken up, 20 minutes later, an hour later, 2 hours later, & just now after overnight in the fridge), seems to be a good alternative to my favorite mustard sauce.

I've only tried the guar gum a couple/few times, I totally gelled that dressing above so I might just try it half of this if I do at all.

I got my guar gum @ Amazon about a year ago: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B079NS4Y9R/tvwb-20

I've only tried a few samples of this sauce by itself (when first shaken up, 20 minutes later, an hour later, 2 hours later, & just now after overnight in the fridge), seems to be a good alternative to my favorite mustard sauce.

I've only tried the guar gum a couple/few times, I totally gelled that dressing above so I might just try it half of this if I do at all.
Thanks for the info., appreciate it.

We will be using 2 recipes from the new Weber cookbook that I won here. (brag, brag, and it's autographed. lol)

Pork Rib Rub

1 TB. kosher salt
1 TB. smoked paprika
1 TB. granulated onion
2 tsp . ground cumin
1 tsp . celery seed

In a small bowl, stir together all the rub ingredients. Use for baby back ribs or spareribs. Makes about 1/3 cup

Carolina Vinegar Sauce

3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. kosher salt

Note: DH used the rub and sauce on our St. Louis Spareribs, that is not what the recipes say in the book. (in case you go looking for the recipes in the book)
That Carolina Vinegar sauce makes a great cole slaw too.

Pork Rib Rub

1 TB. kosher salt
1 TB. smoked paprika
1 TB. granulated onion
2 tsp . ground cumin
1 tsp . celery seed

Carolina Vinegar Sauce

3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. kosher salt

I made this Carolina sauce last night for some chicken I had wet brined during the day.

Very good flavor and when cooked, the sugars carmelize and make it a sweet heat with a pop of sour.

I used seasoned rice vinegar and omitted the salt as my chicken pieces were already in a 5% salt brine.

I’m thinking this aauce would be good on ribs too as a finishing sauce.

Carolina Vinegar Sauce

3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. kosher salt

Last edited:

Back