Out of round section

Ken Grove

TVWBB Member
My 22 incher is out of round - most likely the middle section, but possibly the lid. Has anyone found any good tricks to force the section back to round? As is, I have to bang on the lid to force it into position and I'm sure it still doesn't seal particularly well. I'd like to avoid buying a new middle section if possible. I have no idea how it happened - likely one of my kids or a landscaper didn't treat it very gently when moving it.

I have not experienced this issue but I always thought that if I had that problem I might try a ratcheted tie-down strap. This section might be of value to you: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/parts-troubleshooting/#lid

I considered that. I might give it a try, but I've assumed that given the springy quality of the metal, it would immediately revert back to the incorrect shape I'm trying to fix as soon as the ratchet was removed. I wonder if using the tie-downs to get it round then fire it up to full heat would almost "heat treat" the metal to it's new position and reduce it's tendency to spring back to its current oval shape. It's not off by much - maybe 3/4" or so out of round.

You need to put a piece of wood ( like a 1" x 4") under the business end of the strap and over the high spot on the lid or mid section.
Easier to see and adjust when the two pieces ( lid & mid section) are mated.

Tim

You might be overthinking this. My center section was slightly out of round and I just set it sideways on a piece of plywood and used my body weight to push down along the rim a little at a time until it was ok. Didn’t cause any problems. There is reasonable flexibility there.

I would not recommend pounding or striking the edge with anything as that will possibly chip it.

Yes, don't overthink it. No straps needed. Just measure to find the longest dimension and give the lid a little nudge across that dimension. Should do the trick, since you indicate the lid didn't always behave this way. Or give the lip around the middle section a good cleaning, maybe you don't have much tolerance between the pieces and it's just a tight fit. Good luck!

Back