Putting my Genesis Platinum 2005 to work

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I bought this '05 Platinum quite a while ago. I have been slowly rebuilding it, not as a showpiece but as a daily driver. The basics have been done for ages, but dealing with the cabinet is another story. I was determined to keep the closed in stock look, although I did mod the door handles with a couple from a box full I bought on Amazon that seem to be stainless. I also modded by replacing the thermometer with a larger Summit version left over from my fiascoes with those things...

NqWW88q.jpg

Obviously not done yet. Need to get the logo finished. I also found my leftover Summit gray handle lights, so I plan to replace the black one with one of those and use the black one on a Genesis 330 project.

Tonight it was already getting a little dark, so the handle light was a plus:

yTXAmAu.jpg

The rest to do involves coming up with a fix for the cabinet pieces. I used durawood and aluminum z bars to make a weather resistant bottom that breathes:

ZRdqohW.jpg

Now just need to come up with a solution for the missing left and rear panels. On the right I am going to reuse the regular one painted silver since it is kind of complex to have replicated and not as susceptible to rust.

Jon: Are those end handles and control knobs original?

Also, did you fab in the front and rear bottom SS bars that the durawood sits on? I thought you had sent me the SS tubing that you were going to use there?

Last edited:
Big thumbs up on the creative use of the durawood slats.
Good to see you are using your Grill Grates on it also.

Yeah, the end handles are original. I think the gray used on them is different from the material used for the tables which have faded in the Florida sun to almost tan. Even so, I like the way they swing up - and having a swing table on both sides - plus I like the stainless inserts. I know some don’t.

I had several sets of those stainless tube frame pieces like I sent you, Bruce. I used one set on this grill and one set, painted black, on my Skyline. I am happy to have mostly solved the rust problem, but coming up with those cabinet pieces has me stuck. I think the durawood slat idea worked well and goes with this gray grill.

This makes for a solid daily driver pretty much immune to our environment here. I can’t explain why, but this grill behaves differently than the essentially identical Genesis Silver I used to use as a daily grill. That one worked so well with GrillGrates, but with this Platinum it has been a challenge. I am actually toying with swapping in one of my thicker bar stainless rod grate sets from the Showdown I did. I know some of you will wholeheartedly agree. This Platinum just seems to be a hotter grill and maybe needs to breathe better than GrillGrates allow.

Last edited:
Tony, Yes, aluminum would be a very possible option. Since I am no metal worker, the problem I have is doing the cuts and bends to make it fit. I miss my now retired sheet metal friend. He said he might have a someone who could pick up his mantle so to speak and help me with future work.

Jon, The 2005 SS Platinum that I Have has clearly gray handles and knobs and they look different than yours.
What I would consider is simply finding some sheet aluminum to fit the sides and back. No bending or form fitting. THen either rivet it to the frame or use small screws and nuts to attach it. Maybe the best bet would be to find a sheet that starts on the left front, wraps around the back and then around the right side all in one piece. Basically the KISS method. No need to form fit and bend the pieces around the bottom like the originals.

Don't mind the moss growing on the handles and knobs...they are gray underneath the moss.

ZmVM7xQ.jpg

mhTbdYQ.jpg

You are correct that another issue with GG is they don't allow full air flow around the burners.

Back